It may have been overshadowed by some political issues in recent times, however, that hasn’t stopped Aussies voting in droves for this year’s Triple J Hottest 100.
According to the public youth broadcaster, this year’s poll has received a record 2.8 million votes, officially busting last year’s figure by over 370,000 votes. That’s up by nearly 15 per cent.
The official countdown will be broadcast this Sunday, the 27th of January from midday.
Other stats surrounding 2019’s vote includes:
- The most common age of voters was 18 years old
- More than 60 per cent of voters were aged 24 and under
- Around 80 per cent of voters were under 30
- Once again, more women than men voted this year (53 per cent female, 45 per cent male, two per cent non-binary/other/no answer)
- Local votes came from NSW 29 per cent, VIC 23 per cent, QLD 19 per cent, WA 10 per cent, SA eight per cent, ACT & TAS both three per cent and NT one per cent
- At five per cent, overseas votes nearly doubled from last year
- This year’s Hottest 100 includes 65 Australian songs
- 21 artists appear in a Hottest 100 for the very first time
- 31 artists we first heard on triple j Unearthed
- Five songs which were uploaded to Unearthed in 2018
- Two artists have back-to-back songs
- Eight artists celebrate a Hottest 100 hat-trick, appearing three years in a row