Nine has announced that after 14 years, Karl Stefanovic has agreed to part ways with the Today show.
Darren Wick, director of news and current affairs at Nine, said in a statement: “Nine and Karl Stefanovic have agreed it is time for him to step off the Today show.
“Karl remains on contract with the network and will continue to host This Time Next Year, which records in February.
“For over 14 years, Karl has been at the centre of the Today show, bringing his unique personality and perspective to the day’s news and current affairs.
Wick said an announcement on the new line-up and format of the Today show will be made “in the coming weeks”.
Commenting on his departure, Stefanovic said: “For the last 14 years, I’ve co-hosted the best show on television. I can’t thank Nine enough for the opportunity. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be good enough to host this grand show for so long.
“Thanks to our viewers mostly – you are what matters most. It’s been a tough time. Thanks for hanging in there. I look forward to seeing you in another capacity at this great network soon.”
It was widely tipped that Karl Stefanovic would part ways with Today, after B&T reported earlier on Wednesday that Nine had decided not to renew the contract of his brother Peter.
According to media reports, Peter Stefanovic’s removal was a combination of a lack of on-air chemistry, poor ratings and fallout from April’s now infamous ‘Ubergate’ scandal that also involved Karl.
B&T also understands that Karl’s been on the nose with Nine execs for some time.