The top digital leaders have mastered the ability to operate at genuine scale while not sacrificing agility, according to management thinkers Bain.
A new paper called “Anatomy of a digital forerunner” written by Elizabeth Spaulding, Sarah Dey Burton and Greg Caimi argues, “Business and retail customers alike have come to expect a smooth, omnichannel buying experience whether they are purchasing a pair of socks or a million-dollar piece of construction equipment.”
The authors say that Even the most traditional companies are finding ways to transform their competitiveness by reinventing back-office processes, speeding up supply chains and reimagining service offerings.
The very best performers who they describe as digital forerunners combine the scale advantages of incumbents with the speed and agility of native digital businesses.
Among the obvious candidates are internet old timers like Google, Amazon and Facebook along with relative newbies like AirBNB and Uber.
The company describes five characteristics it says are shared by the digital winners;
- The vision to disrupt, not be disrupted Digital forerunners develop a compelling vision for how to lead the disruption that digital technology creates, not follow it.
- A commitment to understand customers and take action Companies have struggled for decades to understand what their customers really want and how those requirements change over time. But digital forerunners are solving that problem by harnessing Big Data and developing a dynamic “smart view” of their customers.
- An integrated customer experience Digital forerunners strive to first understand what customers really care about and then create an integrated strategy to use the right mix of physical and digital assets to deliver the most relevant, convenient and differentiated customer experience possible.
- Speed and innovation Leadership is committed to encouraging a culture of experimentation that rewards calculated risk-taking. These companies learn to embrace failure; they use rapid prototyping and small-scale trials to learn quickly and iterate toward the right solution. They develop tight feedback loops enabled by advanced analytics to test, learn and test again
- Capabilities that cross over traditional boundaries Dialing up customer responsiveness and speeding innovation through digital technology often requires organisational realignment. Digital forerunners break down silos and increase communication between functions by restructuring roles and reimagining how teams interact.
The authors sas, “What’s at stake, of course, is industry leadership. The companies that can increase their digital fluency and create value throughout the enterprise are increasingly coming to dominate most markets. And because so many digital offerings and business models also create network effects that amplify the advantages of scale, it is especially critical not to be left behind.”
While many leaders recognise the power of this argument, Bain’s analysts say many are unsure about where to begin. Analysis paralysis sets it, oceans are boiled endlessless and too many executives are overwhelmed by a seemingly endless set of investment options.
“In our experience, the relative few companies that are setting the pace in digital transformation push past this moment of indecision and dive in, confident that they will gain a deeper understanding of their customers’ needs and use it to develop innovative, elegant solutions.”
This article originally appeared on B&T’s sister business site www.Which-50.com
Sustainable soap brand Single Use Ain’t Sexy has been greeted with a huge influx of support after raising over half a million dollars in funding via a crowdfunding campaign. The brand has launched itself into the ‘green economy’ by calling on the Australian public to financially back them and their mission to get Aussies to […]
Queer Artist Ryan James Caruthers has publically slammed software company Unfold after it asked to use the artist’s work for free as part of its Pride Month social media campaign. Caruthers took to Instagram to show screenshots of the conversation he had with Unfold after it asked the artist to share 12 of his images […]
After relaunching in September last year, TWOOBS has become a ‘kinda’ shoe brand by also focusing on making the world a ‘kinder’ place and creating more consumer-conscious shopping. The vegan shoe brand founded by sisters Jess and Stef Dadon changed its marketing approach last year and stopped using social media to push sales the old-fashioned […]
Highly experienced tourism marketer Kelly Ryan has been appointed to lead the marketing efforts at Visit Sunshine Coast (VSC). During the past 12 years, Ryan has supported Canberra’s tourism industry in senior marketing roles, including as director of strategy and insights as well as director of marketing at VisitCanberra. Most recently, Ryan has been working […]
GHO Sydney has developed a new educational platform for Family Planning NSW to help parents and carers of children with disabilities navigate the changes to their bodies, emotions and social interactions. The project, ‘Planet Puberty’, was made possible through funding from the federal government’s Department of Social Services, and was co-designed with people with disability […]
JCDecaux today announced conservation organisation, Bush Heritage Australia, as its major charity partner for 2021. The partnership is part of a series of ‘social impact’ initiatives the business is launching this year, under the banner of JCDecauxHEART. JCDecauxHEART focuses on three areas of social impact: health and mental health, environmental sustainability, and enriching urban communities. […]
Shameless Media’s Michelle Andrews and Zara McDonald’s latest podcast, The Books That Changed My Life, will launch exclusively on LiSTNR on Tuesday, 15 June. Throughout the series Michelle and Zara will talk with guests including Kevin Kwan, Laura Henshaw, Jock Zonfrillo, Susan Carland, Hamish Blake and Delta Goodrem about the books that have had a profound impact […]
In celebration of Pride Month, cult streetwear brand Champion has announced an Australia-and New Zealand-first Pride range, Champions of Pride, and ongoing partnership with the Queer Sporting Alliance. Championing a cause, celebrating community, and aiming to create real change, the capsule collection proudly heroes the Pride colours in a selection of signature Champion tees, iconic […]
Following the successful deployment of BankiFi’s technology platform at The Co-operative Bank in the UK, BankiFi has appointed Lloyd Parata to lead their expansion into the Australian Financial Services market. BankiFi’s technology platform ensures banks remain relevant by offering SMEs an innovative solution to operate their business, whilst avoiding common challenges like late payment. Parata, […]
Mars Wrigley 5 Gum has partnered with Twitch to launch Team CLUTCH, a team of Twitch streamers who will assemble on for three live squad streams tackling popular games like Fortnite while embodying the brand’s ethos of ‘life happens in 5’. This partnership builds on 5 Gum’s 2020 Twitch activation, and is set to create […]