Retailers and brands have thousands of data points at their disposal today, but new research by commerce marketing technology company Criteo shows many lack the ability to act upon the intel in a meaningful way.
Criteo has unveiled the findings from two third-party studies, as part of the company’s new initiative to create the highest-performing and open commerce marketing platform.
The Criteo Commerce Marketing Ecosystem (CME) will provide retailers and brands access to a much broader data set and more intelligent technology than is currently available.
Pressy Sankaran, head of Criteo for Australia and New Zealand, said the CME is designed to help brands and retailers better understand consumer purchasing behaviour across platforms and analyse the collected data at scale.
“Collaboration in an open ecosystem allows commerce companies to shape their own future by levelling the playing field,” he said.
“This is particularly critical for companies with a strong e-commerce offering in Asia Pacific, where the market is expected to grow to almost US$4 trillion by 2021.
“We have developed the Criteo Commerce Marketing Ecosystem to unlock the potential of collaboration and the power of data to all who participate.”
To highlight the necessity of the CME, two Criteo commissioned studies have been released.
Examining the value of data and the strength of shared pools of knowledge within the industry, the findings are a timely reminder for Australian brands that need to innovate through collaboration and harness the collective power of data to engage with consumers at every moment and across any screen or device during the shopper journey.
The first study, conducted by Forbes Insights, highlights the value of data collaboration and pooling data to better meet customers’ needs, drive value and compete.
Here are the key findings:
- Retail industry disruption is re-shaping commerce: 50 per cent of brands demonstrate concern that physical-digital giants will limit access to their products, and 41 per cent are concerned they will not have access to information about their own customers and products. Retailers also worry that this trend will cause consumers to turn away from smaller retailers.
- Brands and retailers realise data’s potential, but lack activation capabilities: four out of five brands and retailers include customer data as a key part of their business strategy. But while retailers have access to more data than brands – especially online – they are less confident than brands in their ability to activate data into actionable insights.
- Pooled data assets are a powerful way to get ahead: brands and retailers see value in collaboration and pooling data assets to meet customer needs and drive value for their business. In fact, 71 per cent of retailers are willing to contribute online search data to a pool, and three-fifths of those surveyed are already part of a data cooperative, with almost seven out of 10 of those companies happy with their collaborations as well as the data they receive. Additionally, 72 per cent of marketers cite ‘increased revenue’ as a key benefit they experience from pooled data.
The Shopper Study 2017, also commissioned by Criteo and conducted by an independent researcher, highlights the rise of ‘omnishoppers’ – those that use a variety of devices, channels and platforms to browse and buy products.
Here are the key findings from this study:
- More than three quarters of shoppers globally engage in omnishopping: most consumers are going online to shop and buying in-store, and vice versa.
- ‘Webrooming’ and ‘showrooming’ are the norm: 66 per cent of consumers occasionally browse products online and then purchase in store, with 24 per cent making this a regular occurrence; whereas 74 per cent of consumers occasionally make purchases online after seeing a product in store, with 15 per cent saying they do this regularly.
- Digital drives conversion: As mobile continues to permeate everyday life, online is now a critical point of purchase driver; with nearly half of all omnishoppers from various countries sharing that websites were the last influence before purchase, and 62 per cent of consumers reporting that they use their phone while in-store to research products online.
Microsoft’s Build conference for developers that took place yesterday showcased several important additions to the US tech giant’s PC software that will soon be released to the public. During the presentation, which was live-streamed for audiences all around the world, the company revealed their plans for various programs such as Teams. Microsoft will soon be […]
Australia’s ad watchdog Ad Standards has released its annual Review Of Operations that provides an insight into advertising complaint statistics and key areas of work in 2021. Some 4675 advertising complaints were lodged last year, 33 per cent more than in 2020. The Ad Standards Community Panel considered a total of 315 cases and upheld […]
Cision, a communications platform helping public relations and marketing professionals around the world understand, influence and amplify their stories, released its annual State of the Media report with responses from more than 3800 journalists from 17 global markets to understand challenges faced in a marketplace that is rapidly evolving, and how public relations can support […]
Alan Manly (main photo), OAM, is the CEO of Universal Business School Sydney (UBSS) and author of The Unlikely Entrepreneur. In this guest post, Manly offers tips from turning that side hustle into entrepreneurial greatness… Over the past few years, the success of leading businesses and entrepreneurs has been thrust into the spotlight like we […]
Collective Campus, Australian innovation consultancy and start-up accelerator, is spinning off Metarise – a web3 venture fund and tokenized start-up accelerator focused on bringing web3 projects to life across Asia-Pacific. Having run numerous web2 accelerators in partnership with brands such as Microsoft, Village Roadshow, Charter Hall, and Mills Oakley, Metarise’s ANZ Launchpad will be run […]
The popular video sharing platform TikTok is showing agencies its unique potential as a place to share their products with its latest #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt campaign, which is becoming increasingly appealing with audiences and users. During the pandemic, TikTok became one of the breakout social media outlets, rapidly rising in account numbers as people all across the […]
Music streaming service Spotify has created a new way for marketers to reach their target audiences with the launch of Call-To-Action (CTA) cards, a series of clickable, interactive companion display units for audio ads. Powered by Spotify’s Streaming Ad Insertion (SAI) technology, these CTA cards will be tied to the audio ads that Spotify users […]
InMobi, a provider of content, marketing, and monetisation technologies that help businesses fuel growth, announced expanded charters for the local team in Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) today. Including the expansion of Richard O’Sullivan’s (main photo) role as VP & general manager, ANZ to double-hat and become VP of Agency Partnerships in Asia Pacific (APAC). […]
BrandCrowd, the online creative marketplace that helps start-ups, businesses and entrepreneurs find and create their perfect logo, has today unveiled data and insights that showcase the impact of the pandemic on logo designs. The data compares sales of 44,000 logos from March 2021 to March 2022 in a bid to paint a clear picture of […]
Broadsheet Media has bolstered its sales and partnerships team with two senior promotions following a stream of new client wins and a significant growth period for the independent Australian publisher. Christina Voss and Michila Macleod take on new leadership roles as part of the senior leadership team, led by general manager Sian Whitaker. Christina Voss […]
To celebrate the return of the bold new Doritos 3D Crunch chip range across Australia, PepsiCo has partnered with Snapchat and Akcelo to create a personalised Augmented Reality (AR) experience that gives millions of users across the country the opportunity to experience the new 3D Dorito Chip in an innovative and personalised way. The puffed-up […]