New research has found that Australians use the Google search function on their phones on average 12 times a day!
The research was complied by ZeroDeskTop Mobile Analytics and appears – courtesy of Google – in the latest edition of B&T out this week.
Says Lisa Bora, head of mobile at Google Australia, “We now spend a lot more time online. But this masks a bigger change on how we act online. The time is no longer divided up into a few long sessions. It’s now made up of many, many small spurts of activity integrated into our daily activities.
“It’s fair to say we no longer go online, we live online,” Bora said.
Other results from the data were an interesting look at how Australians use and engage with their smartphones and some top tips for marketers too…
- Eighty per cent of Australians say they now access the internet more often but in shorter bursts
- Eighty-one per cent of Australians say their smartphone searches are far more focused on information rather than the random cat videos they watch on their desktops
- Seventy-one per cent of Aussies say they uses their phones to review products in store and trust these reviews more than the actual sales person
- Eighty-six per cent use their phones to find directions or contact details for a business. Some 66 per cent have used their phones to find a café or restaurant, 54 per cent have looked for travel tips and 45 per cent have booked a hotel or rental care on their smartphones
- Ninety-five per cent turn to their phones for immediate information, ideas or advice
- Eighty-seven per cent of women aged 18-24 have used their phones to Google ‘how to’ advice on health and beauty
- Sixty-eight per cent of smartphone uses have searched for information about a product while in store and 87 per cent of them have said the information impacted on their purchasing decision
- Sixty-nine per cent said the information they Googled in store helped them negotiate a better price
- Sixty-six per cent admit the information they Googled in store influenced their decision and made them purchase a different product over the one they intended
For more Google facts check out the latest edition of B&T, funnily enough guest edited by none other than Google Australia CEO Maile Carnegie
At Zavy, we track the movings and shakings of brands across a range of industries on our social scoreboards. We want to see brands use social media as a space for real brand building and connecting with people – after all, that’s what it was created for. In their ground-breaking advertising report, The Long and […]
Cummins&Partners has redefined what the next decade will look like for Chobani in its new brand campaign Food Made Good. Building on the four years of partnership between Cummins&Partners and Chobani, this campaign was born through strategic leadership to uncover the truth at the core of the brand and bring it to life through a […]
me&u, Australia’s first and leading mobile ordering and payment platform, has appointed Clementine Churchill as Head of Marketing as they continue to drive rapid growth and expansion in Australia and new international markets. A highly experienced marketing leader and recognised industry thought leader, Churchill joins me&u from My Muscle Chef, one of Australia’s top rated […]
MILO is on the search for Australia’s best made MILO, calling on fans to share their creations for the chance to win #TheMILOCup, via Ogilvy Sydney. This integrated campaign follows on from the success of last year’s ‘Hot v Cold’ campaign, which encouraged Aussies to settle the debate on whether MILO is best enjoyed hot […]
New research from Getty Images, a world leader in visual communications, has found that LGBTQ+ representation in ANZ remains low and stereotypical. It’s 2021 – this needs to change – especially in marketing and advertising. In partnership with GLAAD, the LGBTQ+ media advocacy organisation, Getty Images has launched a full-spectrum Guidebook in direct response to […]
Natural historian Sir David Attenborough is one of the most commanding and respected storytellers in the world and now the iconic series, David Attenborough Life Stories, is available on LiSTNR as part of SCA’s recently announced partnership with the BBC. David Attenborough Life Stories is a series of talks on the natural histories of creatures and […]
Menulog has doubled down on its marketing support for restaurant partners, with the promotion of Senior Marketing Manager, Rami Tamer, to a newly created role of ‘Head of Partner Marketing’, as well as the promotion of former-Blue 449 Performance Manager, Jaryd Buggins. In the new Head of Partner Marketing role, Rami will lead a team […]
ARN has announced Barry Drinkwater will be handing over his content director reins at 97.3FM and 4KQ to respected radio executive, Alisson Longhurst. Drinkwater has had a stellar career in radio spanning more than four decades, and was acknowledged as one of Australia’s Top 20 Content Directors by Radio Today in 2020. He began his radio career […]
Australia’s largest social enterprise is turning 25. On the anniversary of Australia’s first Big Issue magazine being sold on the steps of Melbourne’s Flinders Street Station in June 1996, Town Square has created a campaign to mark the occasion. 25 Years Big is a celebratory statement of pride, rendered in the iconic Big Issue logo […]
The Australian commercial radio industry has joined a global working group of broadcasters, carmakers and tech experts collaborating on the innovation of radio in Android Automotive. Android Automotive is Google’s infotainment operating system which is being built into new connected cars. Industry body Commercial Radio Australia is part of the working group, led by the […]
For the third consecutive year, Triple M’s No Talk Day will return on Thursday July 1 to raise awareness around men’s mental health and encourage courageous conversations on Triple M’s 45 stations across the country with support from partner Beyond Blue. From 6:00am – 6:00pm on July 1, Triple M is encouraging listeners to clear […]
Consumer shifts in how and where people buy products evolved significantly during the COVID-19 pandemic, creating new opportunities for retailers to use new channels, fulfilment strategies and payment options, according to the results of a new survey out today from BigCommerce and PayPal. While a majority of the 3,000 consumers surveyed from the United States, United Kingdom […]