Under the subsection ‘How We Use Information’, Snapchat added the two words “including ads” to a clause about how it uses customer information. The section now reads: “What do we do with the information we collect? The short answer is: Provide you with an amazing set of products and services that we relentlessly improve. But we do a lot more as well, such as:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services
- communicate with you
- monitor and analyze trends and usage
- personalize the services by, among other things, suggesting friends or profile information, or customizing the content we show you, including ads
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance the services and your experience with them
- enforce our Terms of Service and other usage polices”
In a separate page outlining its services, the company addressed the tricky balance between targeting and invading privacy: “We don’t want to serve ads that are so custom-tailored that they feel invasive or uncomfortable. It’s a difficult balance and we may not always get it right, so we are counting on Snapchatters for feedback”.
At last year’s Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel said he thinks targeted advertising can come off as too creepy and Snapchat users expect some anonymity within the app. “We’ll make targeting available—just not bad targeting,” Spiegel said.
The inclusion of customised ads was overshadowed yesterday by major feature updates, “Chat 2.0”, including:
- Auto-advance stories. When you finish a Story, the next one begins automatically — simply swipe to skip ahead, or pull down to exit!
- Over 200 Stickers are now available in private chat.
- Video Notes in Chat let you record and send a quick 10-second GIF-like loop.
- Audio Notes allows you to send short voice snippets
- Video and Audio Calls can now be initiated even if the recipient isn’t already chatting with you, turning Snapchat into more of a phone.
- Toggle Chat 2.0 lets conversation partners move between all these features Video and Audio Calls, Video and Audio notes, stickers, and text.
The Avid Collective MD reveals his life pre-adland. As exciting as it is, it's not international playboy spy & Lothario.
SenateSHJ has launched a new digital, data and insights capability designed to help clients tackle the growing complexity of communication challenges. SenateSHJ Digital, Data and Insights (DDI) will combine the firm’s existing Digital and Insights functions to create a Trans-Tasman capability focused on digital communication, and the generation and use of data to improve communication. […]
Creative technology platform Bonzai has announced the launch of BrandStory – a new premium mobile ad format. BrandStory offers triple the ad space and 2.8 times greater time in view than single scroll ad formats, addressing the surging demand from brands worldwide for more real estate to drive real results by seamlessly intertwining awareness, exploration […]
B&T went through the looking glass this morning, with editor-in-chief David Hovenden (above) appearing on Channel 7’s The Morning Show to get the general public involved in our search for Australia’s Greatest Ad. Hovenden chatted with Kylie Gillies and stand-in host Matt Doran about what makes a great ad and showcasing some of our favourites […]
Two Australian-born technology providers have joined forces to bring more power and choice to marketers in Australia and New Zealand with mobile messaging that is more local, cost-effective, and integrated. It’s a partnership that sees two Australian software companies come together to deliver a world-class mobile-first solution for marketers building data-driven, personalised, omnichannel campaigns. While […]
Zitcha and Broadsign have teamed up to integrate the Broadsign out-of-home (OOH) advertising platform with Zitcha’s retail media platform. The collaboration empowers retailers to maximise and monetise in-store digital display networks and enables advertising partners to easily view and book available in-store inventory and review campaign performance alongside the retailer’s other media channels. With the […]
Today, 7-Eleven has announced a one-of-a-kind collaboration with the popular Sydney-based anti-resort wear label Double Rainbouu. Dropping tomorrow, December 1, just in time for summer, this limited-edition capsule will infuse the fashion brand’s rebellious spirit with a distinctly iconic 7-Eleven flavour. The unisex collection features five must-have styles comprising two signature Hawaiian shirts, a peaked cap, a bucket hat […]