Lingerie brand Victoria’s Secret, known for its leggy supermodels and mostly unattainable aesthetic, is being sold to a private equity firm in a $US525 million ($AU793m) deal.
Owner of Victoria’s Secret, L Brands, is selling 55 per cent of the company to Sycamore Partners, with L Brands taking control of the remaining 45 per cent. However, Victoria’s Secret will be spun off into a fully private company.
CEO and chairman of Victoria’s Secret Leslie Wexner has run the billionaire dollar L Brands for several decades but will be leaving his position as part of the chairman. He will remain on L Brand’s board.
In a statement, Wexner said taking Victoria’s Secret private will provide “the best path to restoring these businesses to their historic levels of profitability and growth.”
He said: “We believe that, as a private company, Victoria’s Secret will be better able to focus on longer-term results.
“We are pleased that, by retaining a significant ownership stake, our shareholders will have the ability to meaningfully participate in the upside potential of these iconic brands.”
With Victoria’s Secret going private, L Brands’ main business will be Bath and Body Works.
Wexner has also been scrutinised for his ties to Jeffrey Epstein, though he said he cut ties with the now-deceased Epstein in 2007. A month following Epstein’s death in August last year, Wexner said he was “embarrassed” by the relationship.
The lingerie brand has come under fire in recent times for being out-of-touch with the modern consumer.
In November 2019, Victoria’s Secret annual fashion was been axed amid falling sales and the struggle to generate any interest in the catwalk spectacle.
On Thursday, L Brands said sales at Victoria’s Secret’s stores that were open at least a year fell 10 per cent in the fourth quarter.
American financial services company Moody VP Christina Boni said in a note to investors that the separation will “enable L Brands to reduce debt and focus on its strong core business of Bath & Body Works, which represents over 80% of its operating income.
“The transaction combined with cash on its balance will result in estimated debt reduction approximately $1 billion and mitigates the risk associated with the turnaround of the Victoria’s Secret business,” she added.
Please login with linkedin to commentVictoria's Secret
The sexiest singles in the nation (according to Channel Nine, at least) are back on airwaves with Love Island Australia on Monday, October 4, at 9.00pm after The Block on Channel 9 and 9Now. Aussie sweetheart Sophie Monk will return to host (and play Cupid) alongside new addition, comedian Stephen Mullan a narrator, in the world-renowned reality TV […]
Yotpo is officially expanding into Australia, off the back of significant market growth with massive Aussie names, a landmark investment from Shopify and a plan to help local Aussie e-comm explode. Yotpo’s ANZ userbase includes names like Zoe Foster Blake’s $180M Go-To Skin Care, e-commerce fashion queen Princess Polly, and billion-dollar streetwear brand Culture Kings, […]
Progress has today announced the availability of Progress Sitefinity DX 14.0. This agile, flexible and extensible platform allows organisations to create an ideal digital experience platform (DXP) tailored to their unique needs and objectives with new capabilities for low-code integration and chat-driven engagement, as well as enhanced headless content delivery. The digital world is transforming […]
Tangram has announced that they have signed a partnership with monday.com. the work operating system (Work OS) where organizations of any size can create the tools and processes, they need to manage every aspect of their work. Israeli-based monday.com and Australian-based Tangram form an irresistible team of experts offering unique solutions to agency problems. monday.com […]
Leading Australian market research data brand, RDA Research, provides actionable consumer intelligence to help businesses inform decision making and growth strategies. RDA Research wanted to make its unique consumer data available for addressable digital targeting and required a data onboarding partner to help activate their data in an online environment.
Storytelling agency Enthral has appointed Channel 7 reporter and sports presenter Sean Sowerby as its new senior PR and content manager in Melbourne. Sowerby (pictured) started his award-winning career at 3AW before spending more than 15 years in television. Enthral founder and manager director, Cameron Smith, spoke of the significance of Sowerby joining the agency. […]