oOh!media Limited has announced double-digit gains in revenue (+18 per cent) and underlying EBITDA (+27 per cent), further margin expansion, and a 4.5cents interim dividend (+12.5 per cent) for the half year ended 30 June 2017.
For the first time, more than half of group revenue is derived from digital assets. During HY17, oOh! introduced a further 40 large format, premium-located digital screens across all products, taking the total of such screens to 230, and more than 1,800 retail small format screens.
oOh! continues to invest in its end-to-end digital strategy and its digital revenue penetration leads the market. As well as further digitisation of assets, initiatives during the period included investing in proprietary trading systems to harness its exclusive Quantium insights, which were recently launched to major advertisers in a successful pilot. These investments are necessary to ensure continued revenue and earnings growth.
The three acquisitions made during the second half of 2016 were successfully integrated during HY17, and contributed almost half of group revenue and operating cost growth.
Financial highlights included:
- Revenue of $173m (HY16: $146.6m), up 18 per cent
- A diversified portfolio delivering growth across all divisions except Fly
- Gross profit of $75.3m (HY16: $60.1m), up 25.1 per cent
- Gross profit margin expansion to 43.5 per cent (HY16: 41 per cent)
- Underlying EBITDA of $34.0m (HY16: $26.8m), up 27per cent
- Underlying EBITDA1 margin expansion to 19.7 per cent (HY16: 18.3 per cent)
- Underlying adjusted earnings per share1 of 5.3 cents per share (HY16: 4.0 cps), up 31per cent
- Net profit after tax of $7.1m (HY16: $6.0m), up 18.3 per cent
- Interim fully franked dividend of 4.5 cents per share (HY16: 4.0 cps), up 12.5per cent
Operational highlights included:
- Digital revenue as a percentage of total revenue increased to 52.1 per cent (HY16: 44.5 per cent)
- 40 new large format digital screens in premium locations across Road (17) and Retail (23)
- Leading Out Of Home industry position maintained with 8,000 digital panels across Australia and New Zealand (including 230 large format), 13,000 classic panels and 8 online platforms
- Digital investments leading to an increase in campaigns that combined Out Of Home advertising with native content running across mobile, online and social platforms
- Pilot program utilising unique Quantium insights successfully launched
- Cactus Imaging provided improved production and supply chain efficiencies and strengthened the core classic signs business
- Executive Channel Network (ECN) and Junkee Media expanded the Company’s audiences across CBD environments and Millennials
- Junkee Media provided oOh! video production and content creation capabilities, which will increasingly be strategically important to advertisers and property owners
- Underlying EBITDA and earnings per share excludes $2.1m of non-operating items that mainly consist of costs attached to the proposed merger with APN Outdoor
- Executive Channel Network, Junkee Media and Cactus Imaging were acquired in the second half of 2016
According to the Standard Media Index Trends report for June, the Out Of Home sector recorded stronger growth during the half than any other segment of the advertising industry. Out Of Home revenue grew 8.5 per cent for the half compared to a 1.6 per cent decline for the overall media industry.
oOh!media’s CEO, Brendon Cook, said: “oOh!’s strong performance reflects both the sector’s strength and further market share gains by oOh! in its key product categories. We offer advertisers a portfolio of products whose complementarity and diversity enables us to deliver strong group revenue and profit growth.”
Small to medium sized businesses will now be able to advertise on TikTok through SaaS solutions provider AppsVillage (ASX:APV). APV will allow SMBs to create and manage campaigns on TikTok in under three minutes using its AI software and advertising management platform JARVIS. The partnership makes the most of TikTok’s self-service advertising offering which launched […]
Quentin Tarantino’s 1994 masterpiece Pulp Fiction remains one of pop culture’s true phenomenons and still offers up so many iconic moments. Take a new Christmas spot for US financial firm Capital One who has enlisted John “Vincent Vega” Travolta and Samuel L “Jules Winnfield” Jackson to reprise their classic Pulp Fiction characters without once mentioning […]
With big privacy changes coming, marketers will soon have redefine success when it comes to attribution, argues Deb O’Sullivan Vice President Enterprise Sales Australia and New Zealand at LiveRamp in this piece. Apple postponing its plan to make IDFA opt-in across devices means brands everywhere are enjoying a temporary reprieve. This deferral to early 2021 […]
Independent media agency MediaSmiths today announced the appointment of another Senior Account Planner to its team as the independent agency continues to grow. Jack Geraghty joins MediaSmiths from Mediacom in Brisbane where he was Media Executive. Geraghty also has digital experience, working as a social media and content coordinator for Space Digital and a content […]
To keep pace with their transformative technology, Advanced Navigation turned to DOUBLESTAR CO for art direction, 3D modelling and design help that would capture the value proposition and offering of Advanced Navigation: AIR, LAND, SEA & SUB-SEA for their upcoming campaign “Accurate positioning in the most demanding conditions”. Advanced Navigation’s Head of Marketing Romain Pare […]
Junkee Studio, oOh!media’s creative and social agency division, is capitalising on another successful year by announcing the promotion of Tom Pitney to Strategy Director. Pitney will now drive the direction of Junkee’s in-house creative and strategy team, which produces bespoke content solutions for brands to help them tell and share their stories across their owned […]
Norwegian Cruise Line has launched its new global brand campaign, “Break Free,” encouraging travellers to look beyond the confines of 2020 and towards a future when they can reconnect with the people and places they have missed most. Encouraging travellers to revive their destination dreams and make them holiday realities, the campaign which is a […]
Cricket Australia’s (CA) interim CEO Nick Hockley (main photo) has slammed broadcaster Seven for talking “our wonderful game down”. In a blistering attack on its broadcast partner, Cricket Australia lashed Seven for its ongoing legal stoush as it attempted to exit its four-year deal with the sport. As reported on B&T today, Seven West Media […]
Road safety meets a time-honoured Christmas tradition with the launch today of the Transport Accident Commission’s ‘Spend it Wisely’ advent calendar initiative, developed in close partnership with Melbourne-based creative agency TABOO. The digital advent calendar provides 25 days of road safety tips, plus offers and discounts to businesses throughout the holiday season, to help Victorians […]
PepsiCo Australia and New Zealand has announced the appointment of Vandita Pandey to the newly created role of Chief Marketing Officer for both snacks and beverages. Pandey comes from Frito-Lay (a PepsiCo company) in the United States where she has spent the last 11 years in roles that span across marketing, corporate strategy, insights and […]
A bunch of well-known Aussie musicians have been called upon to feature in a new digital marketing campaign by Destination NSW geared at convincing Australian travellers to take a road trip in the state. Informed by audience insights captured through consumer travel websites Sydney.com and VisitNSW.com, the ‘Road Trips’ campaign uses the top searched items, […]
In this guest post, DDB Sydney MD Priya Patel (pictured) discusses why DDB is supporting the launch fo shEqual, an advertising equality initiative from Women’s Health Victoria… shEqual, which launched last week, encourages advertisers and agencies to seriously consider the work we produce and how, collectively, we can move away from tired stereotypes and sexualised […]