Macquarie Media has been hit with an advertiser boycott for its Sydney radio station after 2GB shock jock Alan Jones went on a political foul-mouthed, on-air rant last week.
The Law Society of NSW announced yesterday morning on social media that it was pulling its advertising from 2GB over Jones’ racist comments used to describe the state of Australian politics, labelling it “inappropriate and offensive”.
3) The Law Society will not align itself with platforms that allow offensive, racist or divisive commentary in our community.
— Law Society of NSW (@LawSocietyNSW) August 27, 2018
A Vodafone spokesperson told B&T that the telco suspended its advertising on the radio station immediately after the offensive comments were aired.
“We do not endorse these comments and they do not reflect our values. We have had direct meetings with the CEO of Macquarie Media, who has given us assurances of the steps being taken to prevent such things happening again.”
Vodafone’s advertising on 2GB resumed today based on those assurances, but it will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Furthermore, Teachers Mutual Bank told Fairfax Media it had halted running an ad campaign on 2GB and it didn’t support Jones’ on-air commentary.
Following Jones’ apology last week, Macquarie Media CEO Adam Lang said in a statement to B&T that the company regards his comments as offensive and has “treated the matter with the utmost seriousness”.
“I discussed this with Alan Jones and believe that the above statements and apology are completely sincere,” he said.
“While there was no ill intent involved we understand that the phrase was offensive and Alan has apologised. We are grateful that so many of our clients understand the nature of this issue and continue to support our company.”
However, Lang said he was aware of “entities on social media that are agitating clients of our company to remove their advertising from the program and from 2GB”.
“We respect the decision of the few companies that have chosen that option and will welcome them back at an appropriate time,” his statement read.
This is the second advertiser boycott on an Aussie broadcaster this month, with some Sky News sponsors pulling their support following the TV network’s interview with far-right extremist Blair Cottrell.