The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) continues to shun any concepts of “sequelitis” with Avengers: Endgame smashing several box office records since opening in Australia last week. The twenty-second instalment from the franchise has already taken over $1.7 billion in global box office sales.
Across Australia and New Zealand Avengers: Endgame has broken records including:
- Highest opening day in cinema industry history
- Highest ever individual Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday / Sunday gross in Industry history
- Highest ever 5 day opening weekend (Weds-Sun) – beating AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
- Highest ever 4-day weekend (Thurs-Sun) – beating Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Highest ever pre-sale total
- Highest ever opening screen count
- Highest and second highest single days of total business in industry history (Wednesday $11.46m & Thursday $11.26m)– beating Anzac Day 2018 $11.25m
Guy Burbidge, managing director, Val Morgan said: “The power of the MCU continues with Avengers: Endgame, yet again it has delivered a winning formula when it comes to box office success.
“2019 is one of the biggest year’s in recent history for cinema and the numbers prove that audiences want to share this experience of seeing blockbusters with others in front of the big screen. Movies like Avengers: Endgame are “Superbowl” style, must-see moments for Australian audiences.
“It is an unmissable opportunity for brands to reach significant audiences in a positive & lean forward mindset,” Burbidge said.
With many film critics agreeing it is a must-see movie to experience at the theatre, expectations are high for the film to be the biggest movie of the year, with only the final instalment of the Star Wars Skywalker saga to potentially come close in box office revenue, when it opens in December 2019.