“Don’t kill judges with PowerPoint” – a crucial note from one previous judge who will be returning this year to help crown a winner in the B&T Awards. And just one of many tips that will make your presentation at the B&T Awards judging day even more A-grade.
For the lucky shortlisted finalists in the major categories, the live judging day is this Friday October 14. Don’t mess that up.
If you were a finalist in the secondary categories (see here) you don’t need to front up this Friday to the live judging day. The pressure is off – for now – and while you await to see if you’ll be crowned king, you can nab those winning tickets right here.
More than 800 people are expected to attend this year’s awards, which will be held at Sydney Town Hall on Friday 18 November. Twitter has also signed this year as the principal sponsor, so don’t miss out!
If you want to get acquainted with some of the names that you might be presenting to on Friday, you can read up on all the non-agency judges here. And for aaalll the ESSENTIAL FAQs on the live judging day, scroll down to the bottom to read. For the hotly contested People’s Choice votes, head over here.
Now, let’s get into the top tips from previous B&T Awards judges who are back this year to choose the esteemed champions. You’re welcome.
- “Be genuine and sincere in the representation of your aims and your work. Don’t over-sell; let proof points and your personal narrative tell the story.”
- “Not reiterating criteria on the day, not putting in the effort.”
- “Don’t overcrowd the room.”
- “Don’t give anyone the opportunity ‘try out’ – put your best team on if you want to win.”
- “Engage the judges and make sure you leave room for questions as well as covering off the key aspects of your entry.”
- “It is an opportunity to build on the written submission but be careful not to just ‘sizzle’ on the day – the substance has to be there too.”
- “Don’t kill judges with PowerPoint.”
- “Make sure the judges know everyone on your team and their reason for being there.”
- “Don’t talk about your agency – focus on results and why the project was special. Leave enough time for questions.”
- “Focus on key messages that make you contender. All physical entries were top class. So be aware the standard is very, very high.”
- “Know who you are ‘competing’ against (the shortlist is, after all, published), and construct your case of why ‘you’…and ONLY you. Advertising is the business of persuasion…persuade us.”
Live judging day FAQs
When and where is live judging day?
Held on Friday, 14th October at Cliftons Sydney – Level 11, 60 Margaret St, Sydney.
What’s the format on the day?
Presentations have five minutes to set up, 20 minutes to present and 10 minutes for Q&A. Each session will be timed by facilitator in the room. This is super duper strict! Don’t be like “oh, just two more minutes bla bla bla” because we’re running a tight ship and we want everyone to have equal opportunity. And if you go overtime, we will ask you to stop your presentation.
What do I bring on the day?
Included AV in the rooms are PC laptop, project/screen, and speakers. If you bring your Mac laptop, you’ll be responsible to supply your own Mac to HDMI adaptor. Remember, five minutes to set up – any extra dilly-dallying around will eat into your actual presentation time.
When do I arrive?
Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your allocated session time to allow for registration. We have a very tight schedule so please be on time. Barista coffee and tea and instant coffee making facility are available in break out area. No meals have been arranged for presenters.
How do I win?
Bribes, lots and lots of bribes. But in all seriousness: This is your chance to wow the judges and make your case. Feel free to bring along any additional support material which were not included with your initial submission.
Judging criteria will be the same as your initial entries, please refer to criteria details here. All judges on your category panel have reviewed your initial entry before live judging day.
Where do I RSVP?
Please email email@example.com to secure your session time/s and confirm your attendance to the networking drinks post judging.
Good luck everyone!
And as always, a HUGE thank you to our wonderful sponsors who help make these incredible awards happen.