When has Kyle Sandliands ever held back his feelings about something? The radio shock jock took to his and Jackie Henderson’s brekkie radio show (Kyle & Jackie O) this morning to slam the rumours going around the duo would return to Southern Cross Austereo (SCA).
Reports over the weekend in News Corp’s The Daily Telegraph suggested SCA was cutting costs and giving people the punt to raise $20 million to bring the pair back. The duo used to work for SCA in breakfast radio before they defected and joined rival network Australian Radio Network (ARN) at the start of 2014.
In response to the piece in The Sunday Telegraph, Sandilands said he was going on the record, saying: “I would never go back to Austereo, even if they gave me the radio station.
“If they said, ‘here, you own it now’, I would say ‘no thanks’.”
Henderson chimed in saying she hadn’t had any contact from SCA.
“It’s very flattering, but it’s not true,” added Sandilands.
SCA has also denied the rumours. In a statement, chief creative officer Guy Dobson said the network was committed to its new brekkie radio show, Rove & Sam (Rove McMannus and Sam Frost), who took over late last year when Dan & Maz were given the boot.
“SCA is strongly committed to its new breakfast show on 2Day FM and we look forward to many great years ahead with Rove & Sam.
“They are a perfect fit for our positive culture and team environment. SCA is not in discussions with Kyle and Jackie O to return to 2Day FM, or any other station in the Hit Network.”
It’s not the first time the rumour mill has gone into overdrive, as in June last year reports were circulating SCA were offering the duo $12 million to come back.