In this guest post, Michael Jenkins (pictured below) from Melbourne’s Shout! Web Strategy, talks B&T readers through Google’s new Penguin 4.0 – both the good and the bad bits…
It’s been a two-year wait for SEO tragics – Google’s anticipated Penguin 4.0 started rolling out over the weekend. While it’s too soon to see the full impact here’s what you need to know.
What is Google Penguin?
In a nutshell Penguin is the name for a Google algorithm designed to catch websites that are spamming search results. The first iteration launched in 2012, the last update to the algorithm was in 2014 and now Penguin 4.0 landed on the weekend.
OK, so tell me about Penguin 4.0
Penguin 4.0, dubbed the ‘real time update’ LINK , has targeted over optimised sites. Over optimisation is two fold. Firstly, when there is an overuse of keywords that are unnaturally placed i.e USE IMAGE; second is the over optimisation of link profiles, so if you have too many links from external sites pointing to the same keywords on your page, its time to update your disavow file before you get penalized.
Moving forward, there’s one thing that’s for certain – use keywords to write for your audience, not for search engine rankings as you will get found out quicker than ever!
How exactly will sites be affected?
The two key changes are:
- You will start to see considerable fluctuations in google rankins from now as real-time updates will occur as updates are made to a site.
- Penguin 4.0 is more granular and penalises specific pages on a site. In the past it was a domain wide penalty.
- Penguin is real-time! When a webmaster updates or optimises their website Google will now recognize these changes quickly; and rankings will change accordingly – no more lag time!
- Penguin 4.0 penalises competitors sites that aren’t doing things by the book and taking short cuts for short term rankings. If you have been doing things well and building genuine authority in your market place online then it’s likely to see a positive effect on rankings.
- Penguin is real-time. I hear you – I’ve named it as a ‘pro’ but it is also a watch out. You need to ensure your site is being optimized and updated correctly – Google will now notice errors faster than ever that can quickly alter your ranking.
- SEO is becoming much more sophisticated over time and Google is getting faster at seeing unnatural tactics. Regularly updating your SEO strategy and keeping constant monitor on your websites back links is essential to remain compliant with Penguin 4.0
How can I make the most out of Penguin 4.0?
Marketers should always keep an eye on back links and perform regular checks using the Google disavows tool LINK . The main difference between good and bad backlinks depends on the quality of the website they are on. Bad backlinks will see your site penalized.
If you have noticed fluctuations in rankings there are a few steps you can take to help:
- Clean out hazardous links
- Review keyword density on site. Is the keyword repetition natural?
- Create some braded links. The fastest way to do this is though citation building LINK
Watch this space.
Penguin 4.0 has literally just landed we’re bound to learn more in the coming week as it rolls out. Keep your eye out for more insights.
In this guest post, founders of The Daily Aus Sam Koslowski and Zara Seidler discuss why in order to stay in the game and keep its user, social media giant Facebook needs to do more to combat hate speech… For young Australians, Facebook is on the decline. Unless the platform better responds to its user’s […]
A brave move has paid dividends for Baskin-Robbins Australia who recently announced they won the award for Best Digital Initiative at last week’s QSR Media Awards. Baskin-Robbins Australia’s Master Licensee, Palm Oasis Ventures took a risk in launching a digital winter campaign targeting a new millennial and Gen Z demographic when it partnered with Netflix to launch season 3 of the streaming giant’s most popular show, the sci-fi horror series, Stranger Things.
Leading eCommerce website development agency, Convert Digital, has achieved the coveted Magento Gold Status from Adobe. This accomplishment has been reached following the agency’s continuing work with the Magento 2 platform - platform that is incredibly robust and offers unrivalled flexibility and scalability.
Influencer marketing agency Born Bred Talent has partnered with the Starlight Children’s Foundation to mobilise their talent roster and support the Stream Raiser campaign, contributing over $95k in donations thanks to virtual fundraising efforts. With a combined reach of 6.2 million across Instagram, TikTok and Twitch, 9 Australian influencers contributed 76% of the $124k raised […]
In 2020, the ‘new wave’ of youth consumers have inspired the world with their activism and fundraising, so eGEN is proud to have partnered with UNICEF, Loserfruit and friends to help gamers fight COVID and help the world’s most vulnerable children. The world’s most famous strawberry will be joined by her Click crew for a […]
Silverbullet Data Services Group (Silverbullet), has become one of only four businesses globally to achieve Adobe Specialisation in EMEA for Adobe Audience Manager. Adobe Specialised Partners are acknowledged as the most skilled technical practitioners throughout the global partner ecosystem. Specialisations are earned after organisations achieve a level of certified expertise in an Adobe solution and […]
Food company General Mills has partnered with Zyper, a marketing platform that connects brands with their superfans, to build virtual fan communities for General Mills’ brands. As part of the agreement, General Mills will use Zyper’s software to initially identify the Betty Crocker and Fibre One brands’ top one per cent of fans on social […]
Facebook is continuing its Facebook Australia Groups Impact Fund, today announcing $500,000 in funding for the program. The grant was originally designated for bushfire recovery groups, however, has now been extended to local communities across the country who might be facing hardship. Facebook said it is on the lookout for groups that have a positive […]