The actor who plays the “Most interesting Man in the World” in arguably the most famous campaign on the planet, the Dos Equis beer ads, has pulled the pin on his role but not before starring in one final instalment that sees him rocket off on a mission to colonise Mars.
The role was played by 77-year-old British actor Jonathan Goldsmith who first started fronting the hilarious beer ads back in 2006. Dos Equis’ brewer, Heineken USA, has reported that it wants to give the brand a fresh spin and already an older female has been touted to replace Goldsmith.
Such has been the success of the “Most interesting Man in the World” ads, Dos Equis’s sales tripled in the first five years that the ads – equal part James Bond-cool and equal part utter piss taking – started appearing.
For his part, Goldsmith said he understood that the brand wanted to move in a different direction and, we’re certain, the $US10 million in royalties he was paid should soothe some of the pain. He even went out with one last fantastic quote: “That’s why they’re sending me to Mars. Somebody’s got to populate it.”
Sure, you can YouTube the classic “Most Interesting Man” in the world ads, but here’s a selection of his finest quotes:
1) He lives vicariously through himself.
2) He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels.
3) His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man’s entire body.
4) When it is raining, it is because he is thinking of something sad.
5) His shirts never wrinkle.
6) He is left-handed and right-handed.
7) If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.
8) The police often question him just because they find him interesting.
9) His blood smells like cologne.
10) On every continent in the world, there is a sandwich named after him. His hands feel like rich brown suede.
11) Cuba imports cigars from him. Mosquitos refuse to bite him purely out of respect. In museums, he is allowed to touch the art.
12) His business card simply says “I’ll call you.”
13) He has won the lifetime achievement award, twice.
14) If he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the urge to thank him.
15) He bowls overhand.
16) He is fluent in all languages, including three that he only speaks.
17) He tips an astonishing 100%.
18) Once while sailing around the world, he discovered a short cut.
19) Panhandlers give him money.
20) He divorced his wife because he caught her littering.
21) His passport requires no photograph.
22) When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value.
Australian fashion brand Witchery has partnered with B Corp GlamCorner as part of GlamCorner’s subscription box offering as the demand for everyday essentials soars. This partnership marks another milestone for the Australian fashion industry towards becoming more circular and introducing more paths to reduce textile waste. Customers nationally will be able to rent more of […]
The media, marketing and creative industries are being encouraged to host their own ‘Curry Club for COVID’ before 30th June to help meet the ambitious $100k target set by its organisers. Curry Club for COVID, which was conceived by long-time adtech executive Peter Bray, sales director at Impact, and is powered by industry social purpose organisation […]
The UnLtd Cup is returning for its tenth consecutive year, marking a decade of soccer shenanigans that’s raised nearly $500,000 for children’s mental health charity, KidsXpress. On July 22-23rd, 28 teams from across the industry will battle it out on the soccer field in the two-day tournament at Sydney University Sports and Fitness Centre, Darlington. […]
Australian-bred company Ultra Commerce has acquired New Zealand-based company Vesta eCommerce, a global software business providing leading product data management solutions. The recent acquisition is a significant move for the business, which is Australian born, owned, and headquartered, but has built out a global presence as it pursues rapid growth in the eCommerce market. Connecting […]
Canteen’s latest campaign features the combined talents of Director Luna Laure and creative agency Crater. The campaign strives to raise awareness for young people affected by cancer. The awareness campaign centres around Harry Barentson, who at 12 years of age found out his pregnant mum had cancer. The campaign aims to bring awareness to Canteen’s […]
In partnership with storytelling agency Enthral, AFL legend Kevin Sheedy has voiced a ‘Love Letter to Victoria’ using visuals to showcase the state’s natural beauty and culture. Victoria has been hit with the worst of the coronavirus pandemic compared with any other Aussie state, experiencing four lockdowns. Sheedy partnered with Enthral to share a love […]
Telstra’s lower-cost telco, Belong, has awarded its strategy and creative account to Howatson + White, and has reappointed OMD to its media buying account, after a competitive pitch process. Howatson + White will handle strategy, planning, creative and CRM, while former agency Clemenger will continue to have a relationship with Belong, managing PR and retail activation. […]