When Kevin Rudd asked why Australians don’t vote, and one person tweeted they wouldn’t vote for him because he wasn’t following them on Twitter, Rudd hit back with “@beckbyrne just did. Now get out there and vote. KRudd”.
This year was a big year for Twitter politics, with many Aussies tweeting about the election, their feelings on it, as well as campaigning, commiserations and congratulations.
Abbott’s little dog also donned a supportive Abbott t-shirt and Abbott made sure all his Twitter followers saw it.
While politics were popular within the Australian Twitter realm, the Australian event that created the biggest spike in Twitter conversation was when Dami Im was crowned the Australian X-factor winner.
Politics weren’t the only big thing on Twitter this year as Aussies kept up the sport-enthused stereotype with some of the top sport trends relating to the #Ashes, #Origin, #AusOpen and #MelbourneCup.
Politics were still on our minds when we took to TV as well with Q and A grabbing the number one trending spot. In TV, the top ten Twitter trends were:
There were also many global events which captured the attention of us Aussies, with the #RoyalBaby topping the top ten.
Twitter was a big year for prominent figures joining its ranks.
- Warren Buffett (@WarrenBuffett), businessman (US)
- Gerard Butler (@GerardButler), actor (UK)
- Hillary Clinton, (@HillaryClinton), politician (US)
- Bill Clinton (@billclinton), former president (US)
- Tim Cook (@tim_cook), Apple CEO (US)
- Cameron Diaz (@CameronDiaz), actress (US)
- Roger Federer (@rogerfederer), tennis player (Switzerland)
- Luis Figo (@LuisFigo), footballer (Portugal)
- Paul Gascoigne (@gazzaofficial), former footballer (UK)
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (@SarahMichelleGG), actress (US)
- Justine Greening (@JustineGreening), MP (UK)
- Liam Hemsworth (@LiamHemsworth), actor (AUS)
- Katie Holmes (@KatieHolmes212), actress (US)
- Hugh Laurie (@hughlaurie), actor (UK)
- Manchester United FC (@ManUtd), football club (UK)
- George Osborne (@George_Osborne), Chancellor of the Exchequer (UK)
- Sarah Jessica Parker (@SJP), actress (US)
- Philip Pullman (@PhilipPullman), author (UK)
- Monty Python (@MontyPython), comedians (UK)
- Emma Rigby (@DameRigby), actress (UK)
- Maria Sharapova (@MariaSharapova), tennis player (Russia)
- Zoe Wanamaker (@ZoeWanamaker), actress (UK)
- Dominic West (@DominicWest), actor (UK)
- Robin Williams (@robinwilliams), actor (US)
- Samantha Womack (@Sam_Womack), actress (UK)
- Ronnie Wood (@ronniewood), Rolling Stones frontman (UK)
- Jaime Winstone (@JWinstone), actress (UK)
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (@TheDukeOfYork), royal family (UK)
Twitter has been a popular social media tool this year, and is still continuing is popularity amongst us Aussies. Who knows what will happen next year.
Just to be clear, when something trends on Twitter, it just means it has captured Aussies attention, not that it was necessarily a hit.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Canteen’s latest campaign features the combined talents of Director Luna Laure and creative agency Crater. The campaign strives to raise awareness for young people affected by cancer. The awareness campaign centres around Harry Barentson, who at 12 years of age found out his pregnant mum had cancer. While his mother fortunately survived, he lost his […]
In partnership with storytelling agency Enthral, AFL star Kevin Sheedy has voiced a video ‘Love Letter to Victoria’ using visuals to showcase the state’s natural beauty and culture. Victoria has been hit with the worst of the coronavirus pandemic compared with any other Aussie state experiencing four lockdowns. Sheedy has partnered with Ethral to share […]
Telstra’s lower-cost telco, Belong, has awarded its strategy and creative account to Howatson + White, and has reappointed OMD to its media buying account, after a competitive pitch process. Howatson + White will handle strategy, planning, creative and CRM, while former agency Clemenger will continue to have a relationship with Belong, managing PR and retail activation. […]
Coca-Cola Australia has rolled out its new campaign ‘Turn Up Your Break’. The campaign will be led by a TVC that encourages people to truly pause with a Coke on their break so they can walk away feeling refreshed and uplifted. The TVC features two busy chefs stepping outside for a break, the bustling kitchen […]
Nova 919’s Ben & Liam breakfast show announced that they’ll be throwing their support behind and raising awareness for a cause very close to their hearts, mental health. On Monday 21 June Ben Harvey and Liam Stapleton will be locked in a purpose-built glass structure, in the middle of Rundle Mall, for an entire week […]
TRENDii has announced TRENDii Ads, a new contextual advertising solution that leverages content and context to promote eCommerce products at scale around the world. TRENDii Ads is user privacy friendly and offers a new way for businesses and brands to target consumers at the moment that they are most inspired to shop. “We believe good […]
ARN and The New York Times have reached an agreement for ARN to become the advertising sales representative for The New York Times’s podcast portfolio in Australia. The deal will enable Australian brands to connect with Australian listeners to The New York Times’s most popular podcasts, such as The Daily, Serial and This American Life, […]
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]