When Kevin Rudd asked why Australians don’t vote, and one person tweeted they wouldn’t vote for him because he wasn’t following them on Twitter, Rudd hit back with “@beckbyrne just did. Now get out there and vote. KRudd”.
This year was a big year for Twitter politics, with many Aussies tweeting about the election, their feelings on it, as well as campaigning, commiserations and congratulations.
Abbott’s little dog also donned a supportive Abbott t-shirt and Abbott made sure all his Twitter followers saw it.
While politics were popular within the Australian Twitter realm, the Australian event that created the biggest spike in Twitter conversation was when Dami Im was crowned the Australian X-factor winner.
Politics weren’t the only big thing on Twitter this year as Aussies kept up the sport-enthused stereotype with some of the top sport trends relating to the #Ashes, #Origin, #AusOpen and #MelbourneCup.
Politics were still on our minds when we took to TV as well with Q and A grabbing the number one trending spot. In TV, the top ten Twitter trends were:
There were also many global events which captured the attention of us Aussies, with the #RoyalBaby topping the top ten.
Twitter was a big year for prominent figures joining its ranks.
- Warren Buffett (@WarrenBuffett), businessman (US)
- Gerard Butler (@GerardButler), actor (UK)
- Hillary Clinton, (@HillaryClinton), politician (US)
- Bill Clinton (@billclinton), former president (US)
- Tim Cook (@tim_cook), Apple CEO (US)
- Cameron Diaz (@CameronDiaz), actress (US)
- Roger Federer (@rogerfederer), tennis player (Switzerland)
- Luis Figo (@LuisFigo), footballer (Portugal)
- Paul Gascoigne (@gazzaofficial), former footballer (UK)
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (@SarahMichelleGG), actress (US)
- Justine Greening (@JustineGreening), MP (UK)
- Liam Hemsworth (@LiamHemsworth), actor (AUS)
- Katie Holmes (@KatieHolmes212), actress (US)
- Hugh Laurie (@hughlaurie), actor (UK)
- Manchester United FC (@ManUtd), football club (UK)
- George Osborne (@George_Osborne), Chancellor of the Exchequer (UK)
- Sarah Jessica Parker (@SJP), actress (US)
- Philip Pullman (@PhilipPullman), author (UK)
- Monty Python (@MontyPython), comedians (UK)
- Emma Rigby (@DameRigby), actress (UK)
- Maria Sharapova (@MariaSharapova), tennis player (Russia)
- Zoe Wanamaker (@ZoeWanamaker), actress (UK)
- Dominic West (@DominicWest), actor (UK)
- Robin Williams (@robinwilliams), actor (US)
- Samantha Womack (@Sam_Womack), actress (UK)
- Ronnie Wood (@ronniewood), Rolling Stones frontman (UK)
- Jaime Winstone (@JWinstone), actress (UK)
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (@TheDukeOfYork), royal family (UK)
Twitter has been a popular social media tool this year, and is still continuing is popularity amongst us Aussies. Who knows what will happen next year.
Just to be clear, when something trends on Twitter, it just means it has captured Aussies attention, not that it was necessarily a hit.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Locked down Victorians who don’t currently have an Optus Sport subscription will have complimentary access to Optus Sport from this weekend to enjoy the UEFA Champions League tournament plus access to premium health and fitness content through the Optus Sport app. UEFA Champions League – the world’s premier continental football tournament – kicks off at […]
Torrens University Australia has launched ‘Career Crush’ via VCCP Sydney and Lash, to help match students with a career they’ll love. Career Crush is an online quiz that determines prospective students’ personal strengths, passions and aspirations to match them with the careers and courses they’re most compatible with. One of the toughest decisions young people […]
Pedestrian Group has partnered with Nine subsidiary Mi9 New Zealand to offer NZ brands the opportunity to partner with the likes of Business Insider Australia, Pedestrian.tv and Gizmodo Australia. Next month, Mi9 New Zealand will be representing Pedestrian Group in the NZ market, offering clients the opportunity to work with leading youth publications including Lifehacker […]
ViacomCBS Networks International (VCNI), a division of ViacomCBS, is launching a premium streaming service internationally, appealing to audiences of all ages. The new SVOD service will start its international roll-out early in 2021, offering exclusive premieres of all new SHOWTIME series, including Halo and American Rust. CBS All Access originals will also premiere exclusively on the new service, such […]
As part of a larger project to refine their brand with partner branding agency Re, Optus have engaged experimental creative studio FutureDeluxe to explore how the iconic ‘Yes’ brand mark behaves in a sophisticated 3D environment. FutureDeluxe have produced a series of 8x idents and a number of static key visuals which will be used […]