Australians streamed 20 billion minutes of premium online video from January to September 2021, according to a report from Media Partners Asia (MPA) measuring the Australian streaming economy.
SVOD platforms drove 70 per cent of premium video streaming, while BVODs took 30 per cent. The report, titled Australia Online Video Consumer Insights & Analytics, leverages MPA’s proprietary AMPD Research Platform to measure and analyse streaming media consumption across key VOD services on iOS and Android mobile and PC devices.
The report indicates that SVOD subscriptions reached 19.4 million at end-September 2021. Netflix retains its number one position with 33 per cent share of subs and a strong lead in consumption share. Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ compete for second place with 15 per cent share of subscribers each. Disney+ outperforms Amazon in consumption share, benefiting from the introduction of Star general entertainment content this year.
Commenting on the report’s findings, MPA Executive Director Vivek Couto said: “Australia’s subscription streaming market is maturing at 60 per cent household penetration. New entrants will need to win market share from incumbents and consider freemium models with strong local partnerships. The importance of sports continues to grow with four major players led by Foxtel’s Kayo competing for subscribers and audience loyalty. The overall sports segment accounted for almost 15 per cent of the total SVOD customer base at end-Sept. 2021.”
Australia had 19.4 million SVOD subscriptions at end-Q3 2021, representing 60 per cent household penetration based on an average number of 3.5 SVOD services subscribed per household. The market is maturing.
• Netflix commands a third of all SVOD subscriptions and 38 per cent of SVOD consumption. A deep library of US original and acquired English language comedy and drama series is a key draw for Australians.
• Disney+ captures 15 per cent of SVOD subs and 16 per cent of SVOD category consumption. The launch of the Star tile in February has boosted Disney’s consumer proposition with the introduction of GE series and movies from Fox, ABC and others.
• Amazon Prime Video is growing rapidly with 15 per cent share of the SVOD base though under- indexing on consumption. Subscriptions are linked to Amazon’s free shipping service. Prime’s library of acquired US and UK dramas, procedural series and movies drive consumption.
• Nine Entertainment’s local GE & sports SVOD service Stan has 13 per cent of SVOD subs and 18 per cent of category consumption. Stan maintains important output deals with ViacomCBS and NBCU while original content is a key differentiator. Stan Sport has exclusive rights to the Champions League and Rugby Championship. Some 15 per cent of Stan subs have taken up Stan Sport, which is offered as a $10 add-on.
• Foxtel’s OTT services (Kayo, Binge and Foxtel Now) have grown rapidly for a 11 per cent SVOD subs share. Kayo’s SVOD base reached 1.2 mil. at end-Sept and the platform is Australia’s largest sports SVOD platform with streaming rights to 50 sports and 13 live channels. Prominent rights include the NRL and AFL. Binge has output deals with NBCU and HBO. HBO titles are a key draw. Kayo and Binge capture nine per cent of SVOD streaming minutes.
The Works has announced the launch of ‘Question Everything’ a new brand platform and campaign for their newest client, Archie Rose. As a nine-year-old independently owned and operated Australian multi-spirit distillery, Archie Rose has garnered a devoted following among existing customers, with a reputation primarily built on white spirits – particularly gin. However in line […]
Brisbane performance agency farsiight has announced the launch of its new market positioning, Growth for Good, in response to a changing business landscape, marking a departure from a “growth at all costs” mentality that has defined the industry in recent years. Agency founders and brother duo, Josh and Ben Somerville, envision Growth for Good as […]
Australia’s largest privately owned transit media supplier, GoTransit Media Group, now offers unprecedented options for transit advertising in Newcastle – on both land and sea following their successful tender to supply interior advertising inside the popular Stockton Ferries. The national transit media company is already well acquainted with the thriving NSW market, having successfully operated […]
Heritage and People’s Choice have launched People First Bank, the new name for positive change in banking Australia’s largest customer-owned bank has unveiled its new brand, announcing that Heritage and People’s Choice will be unified under the new name of People First Bank. Chairman Michael Cameron said the highly anticipated new brand offered a compelling […]
L’Oréal Groupe Australia and New Zealand have announced one of the largest investments to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation to pioneer new coral restoration efforts in the region. L’Oréal Groupe Australia and New Zealand have announced today a new partnership with the Great Barrier Reef Foundation (GBRF), to help coral reefs withstand the devastating impacts […]
Effective immediately, S4Capital’s operating brand Media.Monks, a digital-first marketing and advertising services company, has appointed Matthew Godfrey to lead its APAC Content practice. With over 15 years of experience leading innovative businesses in the Asia-Pacific region, Godfrey will support a best-in-class senior leadership team across the region as EVP, head of content, APAC. He joins […]
Chandra Sinnathamby, Adobe’s director, digital media B2B strategy & GTM, Asia-Pacific, explains how the tech firm is empowering its small business customers with new AI tools, including its Adobe Firefly tools. In today’s fast-paced digital landscape, small businesses face numerous challenges when it comes to creating captivating content that resonates with their audience. Despite the […]
Summer mornings are heating up with Triple M again in 2023, thanks to the star-studded line-up of Harley Breen, Candice Warner and Tom Tilley, who are joining forces each weekday morning from 6-9 am for Triple M’s Summer Breakfast show. Airing from 4 to 15 December in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and streamed live on […]
The Hit Network has announced its summer line-up for 2023, kicking off on Monday, 4 December, featuring The Jimmy & Nath Show, Hamish & Andy podcast, Nights with Seany B and special return celebrations for Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. Hit’s cheeky radio duo Jimmy Smith and Nath Roye of The Jimmy & Nath […]
Full-service CX, media and advertising agency AFFINITY has completed an 18-month-long global rebranding for ASX-listed engineering powerhouse Worley. The rebrand reflects Worley’s commitment towards being a leading force in sustainable change. Worley, a global provider of professional services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors working across six continents, has set out on a significant […]
Highlighting its craft and a world-class shopping experience, Australia’s favourite heritage brand R.M.Williams has announced a consumer competition to celebrate the opening of its new national flagship store at 345 George St. Sydney. Launching on 1 December in line with the new store opening, ‘If The Boot Fits’ invites brand lovers and new customers alike […]