Australian and New Zealand news media publishers have won 22 medals and honourable mentions at the INMA (International News Media Association) 2019 Global Media Awards.
The awards were presented to more than 400 delegates attending the closing dinner of the INMA World Congress of News Media at the Edison Ballroom in New York’s Times Square on 17 May.
During the ceremony, 40 first-place winners were unveiled across 20 categories aimed at energising news brands, creating products, engaging audiences, developing customer insights, growing advertising revenue, and instilling innovation. Entrants were judged in two groups: global/national brands and regional/local brands.
News Corp led Australia’s medal tally, with a total of 13 awards or honourable mentions, including two first place medals for best marketing solution for an advertising client for Mars and best use of data analytics for Verity.
Nine won three awards, including a first place medal for best execution of print advertising for the South Australian Motor Accident Commission.
New Zealand won six awards, including Best in Asia/Pacific (Global/National Brands) for the New Zealand Herald and a first place medal for best public relations or community service campaign, while Stuff Media won first place for best new concept or innovation to create new profit centres.
This year there were 194 finalists from a total of 664 entries from 165 news media companies in 34 countries. Australia has the fourth highest number of finalists this year.
Commenting from the INMA Awards, NewsMediaWorks CEO Peter Miller said: “The 2019 INMA Global Media Awards were hotly contested and reflected the creative ways in which news media owners around the world are creatively attacking opportunities and challenges.
“These included initiatives and programs that go to lifting readership, leveraging engagement and recognising the increasing importance of data in marketing and revenue projects. Australian and New Zealand publishers were well represented on the night, amongst the ideas and on the podium.”
The 2019 INMA Global Media Awards winners from Australia and New Zealand are:
- Best in Asia/Pacific, Global/National Brands: New Zealand Herald for “#NotForSale”
BEST PUBLIC RELATIONS OR COMMUNITY SERVICE CAMPAIGN
- Honourable Mention: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “Pink Up Your Town”
- First Place: New Zealand Herald, New Zealand, “#NotForSale”
BEST USE OF VIDEO
- Honourable Mention: New Zealand Herald, New Zealand, “#NotForSale”
BEST LAUNCH OF A BRAND OR PRODUCT TO CREATE AN AUDIENCE SEGMENT
- Honourable Mention: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “Pennytel”
BEST USE OF NEW TECHNOLOGY TO GENERATE REVENUE AND ENGAGE
- Honourable Mention: News Xtend – News Corp, Australia, “Digital iQ & Sales Bootcamp”
BEST IDEA TO ENCOURAGE PRINT READERSHIP OR ENGAGEMENT
- Third Place: Stuff Media NZ, New Zealand, “When Words Matter: Te Reo Maori Masthead”
BEST NEW PAID CONTENT OR SUBSCRIPTION INITIATIVE
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “One Queensland”
- Honourable Mention: News Corp, Australia, “True Crime Australia”
BEST IDEA TO GROW ADVERTISING SALES OR RETAIN ADVERTISING CLIENTS
- Honourable Mention: News Corp, Australia, “News Corp $1 Million Business Booster”
- Second Place: Stuff Media, New Zealand, “Innovate or Evaporate: Total Sales Funnel Solutions”
BEST MARKETING SOLUTION FOR AN ADVERTISING CLIENT
- First Place: News Corp, Australia, “Mars Food Australia, Mediacom and News Corp: Paving the Pathway to Dinnertime”
BEST EXECUTION OF PRINT ADVERTISING
- First Place: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “MAC Half H”
- Third Place: The Australian, Australia, “Qantas Wine E-retailer Turns to Print to Drive Sales”
BEST EXECUTION OF NATIVE ADVERTISING
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “News Corp Victoria & Carlton and United Breweries – mX Zero”
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “news.com.au & 7-Eleven Simply Cups”
BEST USE OF DATA ANALYTICS
- First Place: News Corp, Australia, “Verity”
BEST USE OF CONSUMER RESEARCH
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “Driving Life: Connecting Automotive Brands with Australian Life”
- Honourable Mention: NewsMediaWorks, Australia, “AdTrust3”
BEST NEW CORPORATE INNOVATION INITIATIVE
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “One Queensland”
BEST NEW CONCEPT OR INNOVATION TO CREATE NEW PROFIT CENTRES
- First Place: Stuff Media NZ, New Zealand, “Digital Revenue Acquisition Unit: Innovate or Evaporate”
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “News Native Networks”
A full list of winners can be viewed on the INMA website.
Finalists for NewsMediaWorks’ local 2019 News Media Awards, for Australian, New Zealand and Asia Pacific entrants, will soon be announced.
The awards, which recognise excellence in news publishing across the APAC region, will be presented on September 24th in Sydney.
From the audio producer of The Teacher’s Pet comes The Elements, a new Acast Creator Network podcast hosted by Thredbo survivor Stuart Diver. The Elements is a podcast that journeys into the heart of surviving a natural disaster and will be hosted and distributed by the creator-first podcast company Acast as part of the Acast Creator […]
DoubleVerify has today announced enhancements to its brand safety and suitability solution that include the introduction of DV’s Brand Safety Floor as a turnkey option, extending Brand Suitability Tiers on YouTube, and more. Available to both advertisers and publishers since January 2021, Brand Suitability Tiers allow brands to align suitability settings with their own unique standards, […]