Australian and New Zealand news media publishers have won 22 medals and honourable mentions at the INMA (International News Media Association) 2019 Global Media Awards.
The awards were presented to more than 400 delegates attending the closing dinner of the INMA World Congress of News Media at the Edison Ballroom in New York’s Times Square on 17 May.
During the ceremony, 40 first-place winners were unveiled across 20 categories aimed at energising news brands, creating products, engaging audiences, developing customer insights, growing advertising revenue, and instilling innovation. Entrants were judged in two groups: global/national brands and regional/local brands.
News Corp led Australia’s medal tally, with a total of 13 awards or honourable mentions, including two first place medals for best marketing solution for an advertising client for Mars and best use of data analytics for Verity.
Nine won three awards, including a first place medal for best execution of print advertising for the South Australian Motor Accident Commission.
New Zealand won six awards, including Best in Asia/Pacific (Global/National Brands) for the New Zealand Herald and a first place medal for best public relations or community service campaign, while Stuff Media won first place for best new concept or innovation to create new profit centres.
This year there were 194 finalists from a total of 664 entries from 165 news media companies in 34 countries. Australia has the fourth highest number of finalists this year.
Commenting from the INMA Awards, NewsMediaWorks CEO Peter Miller said: “The 2019 INMA Global Media Awards were hotly contested and reflected the creative ways in which news media owners around the world are creatively attacking opportunities and challenges.
“These included initiatives and programs that go to lifting readership, leveraging engagement and recognising the increasing importance of data in marketing and revenue projects. Australian and New Zealand publishers were well represented on the night, amongst the ideas and on the podium.”
The 2019 INMA Global Media Awards winners from Australia and New Zealand are:
- Best in Asia/Pacific, Global/National Brands: New Zealand Herald for “#NotForSale”
BEST PUBLIC RELATIONS OR COMMUNITY SERVICE CAMPAIGN
- Honourable Mention: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “Pink Up Your Town”
- First Place: New Zealand Herald, New Zealand, “#NotForSale”
BEST USE OF VIDEO
- Honourable Mention: New Zealand Herald, New Zealand, “#NotForSale”
BEST LAUNCH OF A BRAND OR PRODUCT TO CREATE AN AUDIENCE SEGMENT
- Honourable Mention: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “Pennytel”
BEST USE OF NEW TECHNOLOGY TO GENERATE REVENUE AND ENGAGE
- Honourable Mention: News Xtend – News Corp, Australia, “Digital iQ & Sales Bootcamp”
BEST IDEA TO ENCOURAGE PRINT READERSHIP OR ENGAGEMENT
- Third Place: Stuff Media NZ, New Zealand, “When Words Matter: Te Reo Maori Masthead”
BEST NEW PAID CONTENT OR SUBSCRIPTION INITIATIVE
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “One Queensland”
- Honourable Mention: News Corp, Australia, “True Crime Australia”
BEST IDEA TO GROW ADVERTISING SALES OR RETAIN ADVERTISING CLIENTS
- Honourable Mention: News Corp, Australia, “News Corp $1 Million Business Booster”
- Second Place: Stuff Media, New Zealand, “Innovate or Evaporate: Total Sales Funnel Solutions”
BEST MARKETING SOLUTION FOR AN ADVERTISING CLIENT
- First Place: News Corp, Australia, “Mars Food Australia, Mediacom and News Corp: Paving the Pathway to Dinnertime”
BEST EXECUTION OF PRINT ADVERTISING
- First Place: Nine – Australian Community Media, Australia, “MAC Half H”
- Third Place: The Australian, Australia, “Qantas Wine E-retailer Turns to Print to Drive Sales”
BEST EXECUTION OF NATIVE ADVERTISING
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “News Corp Victoria & Carlton and United Breweries – mX Zero”
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “news.com.au & 7-Eleven Simply Cups”
BEST USE OF DATA ANALYTICS
- First Place: News Corp, Australia, “Verity”
BEST USE OF CONSUMER RESEARCH
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “Driving Life: Connecting Automotive Brands with Australian Life”
- Honourable Mention: NewsMediaWorks, Australia, “AdTrust3”
BEST NEW CORPORATE INNOVATION INITIATIVE
- Second Place: News Corp, Australia, “One Queensland”
BEST NEW CONCEPT OR INNOVATION TO CREATE NEW PROFIT CENTRES
- First Place: Stuff Media NZ, New Zealand, “Digital Revenue Acquisition Unit: Innovate or Evaporate”
- Third Place: News Corp, Australia, “News Native Networks”
A full list of winners can be viewed on the INMA website.
Finalists for NewsMediaWorks’ local 2019 News Media Awards, for Australian, New Zealand and Asia Pacific entrants, will soon be announced.
The awards, which recognise excellence in news publishing across the APAC region, will be presented on September 24th in Sydney.
Over recent days reports in the UK press have suggested that bosses of the Paris-headquartered Publicis Groupe had sounded out a private equity firm for a part or potential sale. The rumours were first reported on UK media site Campaign last week and have since been embellished further in the media in previous days. The […]
On 31 March, the Sailor Jerry Rolling Stone Australia Awards will be celebrating the achievements of the breadth of Australian musicians from what has been a trying and unpredictable 2020. Today, Rolling Stone Australia has revealed the nominees for the event, paying homage to the year that was in music. The Brag Media, Australia’s number […]
Content discovery and native advertising platform Taboola has announced the beta of ‘Taboola Stories’, a new way for publishers to engage readers through short-form video. Publishers will be able to embed Taboola Stories within their homepages and articles in mobile environments, presenting readers with constantly updated recommendations that, once selected, launch vertical, mobile-friendly stories that […]
The Australian metropolitan commercial radio audience grew by two per cent to nearly 11.1 million listeners in 2020, in a year dominated by COVID-19 which saw the number of people listening at home jump by eight per cent to 6.4 million. Commercial Radio Australia’s annual listening summary, based on an average of the five official […]
Australian congenital heart disease profit-for-purpose charity HeartKids has launched a new brand strategy, identity and logo created by independent brand and design agency Hulsbosch. Leaders in the fight to conquer congenital heart disease, HeartKids aims is to raise awareness of the disease, as well as enhance the conditions’ profile as a health priority to a […]
TotallyAwesome, the Asia Pacific’s most advanced forum for kids and brands to safely interact via the internet, is launching a new service for brands to connect with young audiences. The business has also engaged an eminent Melbourne-based paediatric psychologist to assist with appropriate brand and audience connectivity. The new service, called AwesomeLTV, is an acceleration of TotallyAwesome’s abilities to […]
Nine Entertainment SVOD service Stan has revealed its original series, RuPaul’s Drag Race Down Under, will be arriving to the platform in 2021. The eight-part, first-ever local adaption of the global hit series will see “the most fabulous” and “fierce” local drag queens compete to be the first ever Down Under Drag Race Superstar, Stan […]
In his first post for 2021, B&T regular Robert Strohfeldt points his magnifying glass at digital media’s hype and argues it’s possibly not cracked up to all it purports to be… In the past few months, I have seen many CVs of young graduates seeking a career in marketing and/or advertising. I could fool myself […]
B2B marketing agency McCorkell has announced that it has been appointed an official Asia-Pacific partner of RainFocus, the next-generation event marketing and management platform. The collaboration will see both companies come together to shake up the end-to-end event service model across APJ. “As the only true integrated event marketing and management platform servicing everything from […]