Commercial Radio Australia’s “future-proofing” of audience measurement will include a new quarterly behavioural tool that will gauge listener response to advertising, emotional connection to stations and motivations for listening.
Dr Morten Boyer (pictured), general manager at GfK media, the research firm tasked with the biggest overhaul of radio ratings in decades, revealed the new measurement system called “Audienscope” at the 2013 National Radio Conference in Brisbane this morning.
Boyer said Audienscope would “complement traditional radio ratings by taking a more holistic view of listener behaviour by getting to know who they actually are”.
This method will include listener reaction to advertising and why people garner emotional connections to radio stations.
Boyer also said that GfK would monitor sales of audio-enabled devices – which has hit almost nine million in the past year (up 23%) – so that it can generate insights into what may influence future listening behaviour.
It’s all about building an individual listener profile and giving insights for improved radio sales and programming," he said.
This introduction of the new era of audience measurement next year will also include a broadening of the methods used to interact with listeners and interpretation of ratings results.
This includes going “multi-mode” with a new door-to-door paper diary survey recruitment, which will make up 80% of the data collection, and a new online e-diary making up the other 20%.
“We’ve introduced online recruitment through e-diaries that can be accessed on a range of platforms measuring radio listeners,” said Boyer.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]
Schwartz Media is congratulating Maddison Connaughton on her three years as editor of The Saturday Paper. Connaughton has decided to finish up her editorship this month. “It’s been an honour to edit the paper,” Connaughton said. “The Saturday Paper is one of the brightest voices in Australian media and I have been happy to see […]
Research from EdBbirdie using Spotify data has identified the most popular songs to study to. After analysing thousands of studying and homework playlists on Spotify, American singer Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘drivers license’ came out as top song to study to. It featured on 48 study playlists, while other top songs included ‘Ophelia’ by The Lumineers, ‘Falling’ […]
Dayna Stewart is the Business Director – Digital Marketing, Media & Creative Services at The Nudge Group. Here, she discusses the challenges that come with building a successful marketing team when working remotely. Before COVID-19 changed the way businesses work, most marketing teams spent their days together in a meeting room collaborating on the next […]
The line-up for the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival has been announced as the legendary event returns live in Las Vegas in September. This year, the epic two-day lineup for the iHeartRadio Music Festival main stage will feature performances by Billie Eilish, Cheap Trick, Coldplay, Dua Lipa, Florida Georgia Line, Journey, Khalid, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Nelly, […]
Shop! ANZ is calling on shopper and retail marketing professionals from all retail related disciplines to participate in the first ANZ Shopper and Retail Marketing Industry Survey in four years. This important research provides a guide of where the retail marketing industry in Australia and New Zealand has come from and what is anticipated to […]