Live TV is still a winner

Live TV is still a winner

Aussies prefer live TV to recorded shows, and they gravitate towards the largest available screen, according to new research.

The latest Australian Multiscreen Report, conducted by OzTam, Nielsen and Regional Tam, covers the third quarter of 2013.

It found that overall use of the TV in Australian homes is steady year-on-year, and people’s viewing patterns are broadening with their continued uptake of new and different screen types.

Internet-capable TVs are now in 22% of homes, compared to 18% a year earlier. And with the analogue switch-off imminent, 99% of homes have converted to a digital terrestrial TV.

The research also found the 37% of homes now have a tablet (up from 22% the year before), and 67% of Aussies aged 16 and over own a smartphone (56% in 2012).

The report included a study on viewing of recorded broadcast TV content, and found that people spend an average 95 hours and 51 minutes a month watching broadcast TV on conventional TV sets. 93% of that viewing is live and the other 7% is playback content. 

Please login with linkedin to comment

Latest News