The Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have selected nine projects as part of the second Grand Challenges Explorations initiative.
The creative challenge "Aid is Working. Tell the World" solicited innovative communications ideas that can help change the global conversation about the impact of investments in foreign aid.
The creators of the nine projects will each be awarded up to US$100,000 to work on their communications idea and will be mentored by a Cannes Chimera panel made up of representatives of each of the 2012 Cannes Lions Grand Prix winners.
The nine projects from agency and non-profit organisations from around the world are:
- BeHere-BeThere Project by Serviceplan, Hamburg, Germany: Using location-based network applications in collaboration with local retail partners, Serviceplan will connect consumers to charity projects in the developing world to raise awareness of development issues and trigger donations from retail locations to specific projects.
- Cause Generation: a Platform to Define a Generation's Cause by OgilvyEarth, San Francisco, USA: OgilvyEarth will develop and launch an online platform for university student teams to use to campaign for a single global development cause for their generation, convince their peers to support that cause, and execute an awareness raising project around the winning cause.
- Hactivating Development Aid by Coxswain Social Investment Plus, Tunis, Tunisia: The organization will develop an online crowdsourcing program that engages young people around the world and enables them to learn about global development challenges through first-person narratives as well as provide solutions to real-life challenges identified by their peers.
- HMKD by Leo Burnett, Chicago, USA: Leo Burnett will develop a plan to create a working stock ticker on the New York Stock Exchange that will track the daily return on investment from development aid to raise awareness that investments in humankind are working.
- House Parties: Experiential Marketing for Global Aid by Plan International, Washington, USA: Plan International USA will test a proven marketing model – the House Party – as an engagement tool to build support among the public for international development programs.
- Global 360 by Media Trust, London, UK: Building on its existing programming, Media Trust will produce the first television, online and mobile channel run by young people, which will create and distribute stories about global development.
- Mobile-izing the United Voices of Aid Recipients by Environics Trust, Ghaziabad, India: Environics Trust will use an Interactive Voice Response system to collect 10,000 personal narratives about the impact of aid programs in rural India, will disseminate them online and through social media, and then measure how the information changes perceptions among a youth audience.
- RADIO8 by Digital Kitchen, Seattle, USA: Digital Kitchen will create a worldwide radio channel for eight-year-old children to provide knowledge, insights and perspectives on the impact of aid through first-person stories, music, and cultural exchanges, with a goal of promoting connections between the developing and the developed world.
- Smart Cities: An Interactive Multi-Media and Mapping Platform by Spatial Collective, Nairobi, Kenya: Spatial Collective will create an interactive community platform, accessible via SMS, for citizens to present local development challenges and suggest possible solutions, with a goal of promoting better communication between citizens, service providers, local governments, and members of the international community.
Answering to a competitive creative brief for ideas in four specific submission categories: Mobile, Data, Young Audiences and The Progress of Development, the nine new projects were selected from entries submitted from around the world.
"Innovative communications are going to be an important part of solving the world's biggest challenges," said Tom Scott, director of Global Brand & Innovation at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. "We're thrilled to be partnering with Cannes Lions, which enables us to collaborate directly with the global creative community to find ways to build awareness and support for critical global development problems."
Please login with linkedin to comment
Brazilian football team Ibis Sport Club has achieved cultish status in the country and probably not for the reason you’d expect in the soccer-mad nation. That’s because Ibis has been lumbered with the rather unflattering title of the world’s worst football team. Apparently it all goes back 40 years when, during a period from 1980-1984, […]
DoubleVerify has announced the expansion of a partnership with The Trade Desk to include activation of DV Custom Contextual, which will enable programmatic advertisers using the platform to target relevant audiences in a privacy-safe manner that does not utilize cookies or personally identifiable information. The Trade Desk now supports a comprehensive suite of DV’s pre-bid […]
The Wednesday night competition between ABC’s Hard Quiz and Nine’s Travel Guides for top spot in the entertainment ratings hotted up once again. This week, it was Hard Quiz in the top spot with 662,000 viewers, while Travel Guides had 648,000 in an ep exploring the Kimberley. On top overall was once again Seven News with 1,065,000 viewers, followed […]
The UK Prime Minister has criticised anti-lockdown protestors who chased and verbally abused BBC Newsnight political editor Nick Watt. Watt was covering an anti-lockdown protest in central London when a group of maskless protestors began following and shouting at him. At one point, Watt began to run away while the protesters shouted ‘scum’, while one […]
Seven West Media has revealed trading conditions in the fourth quarter of FY21 have been positive, with a strong rebound in advertising revenue compared to last year. Seven’s advertising revenue including BVOD is estimated to grow more than 45 per cent in the quarter. Early indications suggest ongoing positive momentum into the September quarter. The […]
With the discussion about consent raging and following the Federal Government’s recent campaign comparing sex to milkshakes, Are Media’s marie claire has turned to some of the country’s top advertising agencies to come up with an alternative communication solution. Leading creative agencies, DDB Melbourne, M&C Saatchi, Ogilvy, The Hallway and The Works, were briefed by […]
Jason Barnes [featured image] is the Chief Revenue Officer, APAC at PubMatic. In this piece, he looks at the future of targeted advertising and discusses how the digital advertising ecosystem can correct its course. There is perhaps no bigger disruptor to the digital ecosystem than the changes afoot around addressable advertising. Addressability is a key […]
Swinburne University of Technology has launched a series of Bootcamp Graduate Certificate courses, developed in partnership with FourthRev. The courses, an Australian-first, will upskill career changers and provide students the capabilities required to thrive in the digital economy. They are available on-campus and through its online arm, Swinburne Online. Alongside completing projects which will emulate […]
PayPal has partnered with Welcome to Country, Australia’s first Indigenous-led not-for-profit marketplace, which showcases businesses that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Welcome to Country launched in 2019, providing an online platform for Indigenous experience providers across tours, day treks, scenic flights, bush food, festivals, art and cultural experiences. When the pandemic hit, the […]
Former liberal politician and female icon Julie Bishop has further cemented her celebrity status by scoring her very own Barbie doll. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Barbie creators Mattel, created the Barbie doll in Bishop’s likeness to honour her achievements. Unfortunately, the Julie Bishop Barbie won’t be for sale. Instead, the one-off doll was […]
Full-service digital marketing agency Whitehat Agency has launched its new website and branding, with the end-to-end project delivered by its own team of experienced in-house website designers, developers and UX specialists. After a challenging 2020, Whitehat Agency has experienced a very positive 2021 to date, onboarding nine new clients including The Dog Mum, Handpicked Wines, Compost […]
Award-winning house and land provider, Thrive Homes has launched a new brand campaign to encourage homebuyers worried about the complicated process of building a new home to say 'no' to stress and 'yes' to an efficient, more affordable new home without compromising quality by making 'The Clever Choice' and choosing Thrive.
Fast-growing fintech startup DiviPay has announced the appointment of one of Australia’s most influential and reputable public figures in the accounting world, Trent McLaren, as its head of accounting. The move will enable Divipay to expand its reach into the accounting industry, with the aim of growing its business customer base. DiviPay, Australia’s first virtual […]
Independent agency Adhesive has been appointed the public relations agency of record in Australia for the Domain Group, a leading property technology and services marketplace. The appointment will see Adhesive support PR & communications and campaign media activity for Domain, across consumer, corporate and B2B market remits. Adhesive will work closely with Domain’s in-house communications, […]
Sean Szeps is a gay father and a proud member of the LGBTQIA+ community who believes he does not know enough about those within his community that have different gender and sexual identities to his own. Feeling compelled to explore the unique experiences of every member of the community, Szeps’ new podcast, Come Out Wherever […]