Nine Entertainment Co. (NEC) has announced a content deal with Maker Studios, a short form online content company and a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, aimed to bring new audiences to live streaming and on-demand video platform 9Now.
9Now will feature five original series from Maker Studios – part of the “Short Not Sweet” package available to viewers as of Wednesday, September 14th – all aimed at the millennial audience.
Niamh Collins, general manager of product and digital operations at Nine, said, “This deal is important as it’s the first time 9Now has forged a digital only content deal. We firmly believe our relationship with Maker Studios will add new audiences to the 9Now platform, which already has more than 1.7m subscribers, and we are really excited to be an exclusive home for the premiere of Jobsworth, starring Joe Weller.
“We are thrilled to bring this group of fun, quirky original series to 9Now,” said Nick Higgins, General Manager, Maker Studios Australia and New Zealand. “We continue to look for distribution platforms that value our voice in short form and look forward to exposing these original shows to new audiences.”
The five original series now available on 9Now include:
- Jobsworth – Available only on 9Now – Take a journey with 20-year-old YouTube sensation Joe Weller as he looks to find his dream job. Watch as Joe bargains with potential bosses for a day of experience in his dream job in return for a day in the worst job they can find. With more than six million followers across social platforms, Joe has built a global audience with comedy sketches, vlogs, music videos and more.
- Now Boarding – Skateboarders and social media stars Chris Chann, Micky Papa and Jason Park embark on their first ever European adventure. Journey with Chris and friends through Paris, Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Venice, and more, as they link up with locals to skate iconic spots, sample signature dishes, check out the nightlight, and explore how skateboarding can break down barriers and connect cultures. The series is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Sweatpants Media.
- Wreck Room – YouTube star Nikki Limo hosts game night in her parents’ living room – playing games from growing up like “Never Have I Ever” and “Spin the Bottle.” The series is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Matador Content, producers of the hit Spike TV series Lip Sync Battle.
- Pretty Vacant – Two shallow, narcissistic, and oftentimes reprehensible best friends find themselves in relatable but elevated situations as they search for love. Starring creators Avital Ash and Danielle Rene, along with Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights), Derek Phillips (Friday Night Lights), and Simon Kassianides (The Big C), with digital stars AlphaCat and Shameless Maya, the series is directed by Heath Cullens (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Steel Wool Entertainment.
- Hope & Randy – A quirky, irreverent, romantic comedy about the sweet and awkward sexual explorations of a pair of 24-year-olds in their first serious relationship. The series originally premiered on linear television as part of truTV’s “Late Night Snack” in the U.S. and is produced by Two Trick Pony in association with Maker Studios.
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]
Schwartz Media is congratulating Maddison Connaughton on her three years as editor of The Saturday Paper. Connaughton has decided to finish up her editorship this month. “It’s been an honour to edit the paper,” Connaughton said. “The Saturday Paper is one of the brightest voices in Australian media and I have been happy to see […]
Research from EdBbirdie using Spotify data has identified the most popular songs to study to. After analysing thousands of studying and homework playlists on Spotify, American singer Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘drivers license’ came out as top song to study to. It featured on 48 study playlists, while other top songs included ‘Ophelia’ by The Lumineers, ‘Falling’ […]
Dayna Stewart is the Business Director – Digital Marketing, Media & Creative Services at The Nudge Group. Here, she discusses the challenges that come with building a successful marketing team when working remotely. Before COVID-19 changed the way businesses work, most marketing teams spent their days together in a meeting room collaborating on the next […]
The line-up for the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival has been announced as the legendary event returns live in Las Vegas in September. This year, the epic two-day lineup for the iHeartRadio Music Festival main stage will feature performances by Billie Eilish, Cheap Trick, Coldplay, Dua Lipa, Florida Georgia Line, Journey, Khalid, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Nelly, […]
Shop! ANZ is calling on shopper and retail marketing professionals from all retail related disciplines to participate in the first ANZ Shopper and Retail Marketing Industry Survey in four years. This important research provides a guide of where the retail marketing industry in Australia and New Zealand has come from and what is anticipated to […]