Nine Entertainment Co. (NEC) has announced a content deal with Maker Studios, a short form online content company and a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, aimed to bring new audiences to live streaming and on-demand video platform 9Now.
9Now will feature five original series from Maker Studios – part of the “Short Not Sweet” package available to viewers as of Wednesday, September 14th – all aimed at the millennial audience.
Niamh Collins, general manager of product and digital operations at Nine, said, “This deal is important as it’s the first time 9Now has forged a digital only content deal. We firmly believe our relationship with Maker Studios will add new audiences to the 9Now platform, which already has more than 1.7m subscribers, and we are really excited to be an exclusive home for the premiere of Jobsworth, starring Joe Weller.
“We are thrilled to bring this group of fun, quirky original series to 9Now,” said Nick Higgins, General Manager, Maker Studios Australia and New Zealand. “We continue to look for distribution platforms that value our voice in short form and look forward to exposing these original shows to new audiences.”
The five original series now available on 9Now include:
- Jobsworth – Available only on 9Now – Take a journey with 20-year-old YouTube sensation Joe Weller as he looks to find his dream job. Watch as Joe bargains with potential bosses for a day of experience in his dream job in return for a day in the worst job they can find. With more than six million followers across social platforms, Joe has built a global audience with comedy sketches, vlogs, music videos and more.
- Now Boarding – Skateboarders and social media stars Chris Chann, Micky Papa and Jason Park embark on their first ever European adventure. Journey with Chris and friends through Paris, Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Venice, and more, as they link up with locals to skate iconic spots, sample signature dishes, check out the nightlight, and explore how skateboarding can break down barriers and connect cultures. The series is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Sweatpants Media.
- Wreck Room – YouTube star Nikki Limo hosts game night in her parents’ living room – playing games from growing up like “Never Have I Ever” and “Spin the Bottle.” The series is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Matador Content, producers of the hit Spike TV series Lip Sync Battle.
- Pretty Vacant – Two shallow, narcissistic, and oftentimes reprehensible best friends find themselves in relatable but elevated situations as they search for love. Starring creators Avital Ash and Danielle Rene, along with Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights), Derek Phillips (Friday Night Lights), and Simon Kassianides (The Big C), with digital stars AlphaCat and Shameless Maya, the series is directed by Heath Cullens (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and is a collaboration between Maker Studios and Steel Wool Entertainment.
- Hope & Randy – A quirky, irreverent, romantic comedy about the sweet and awkward sexual explorations of a pair of 24-year-olds in their first serious relationship. The series originally premiered on linear television as part of truTV’s “Late Night Snack” in the U.S. and is produced by Two Trick Pony in association with Maker Studios.
Social Indigenous Enterprise We Are Warriors (WAW), supported by creative innovation studio R/GA Australia, has been selected to produce the City of Sydney’s New Year’s Eve Calling Country live performance as part of the 9pm firework show. Lead image L-R: WAW co-founders Ben Miles & Nooky. The performance will feature a special Welcome to Country […]
With just over 24 hours to go until the world premiere of Addy Lala and the Mood Tea Thieves, limited tickets are still available for the pantomime, which will run for one night only at the Everest Theatre in Sydney’s Seymour Centre on December 5th. All in the industry are encouraged to come along to […]
2045, a Melbourne-based creative agency founded by Tim Evans and Nick Auditore has just launched. The agency takes its name from the year futurist Ray Kurzweil predicted organic and artificial intelligence would converge. Lead Image: 2045 Team Evans was formerly a Partner and Executive Strategy Director at DT (now AKQA), before co-founding B.B.E in 2015. […]
The National Breast Cancer Foundation has been announced as the Charity Partner for Sydney New Year’s Eve. The Australian not-for-profit organisation is represented by the pink ribbon and raises money to fund world-class research towards its vision of zero deaths from breast cancer. Research that saves lives through a better understanding of how to prevent […]
This holiday season, Emporium Melbourne has announced its festive creative campaign that celebrates and encourages the Melbourne community to embrace their personal ‘untraditional traditions’ – the unique traditions that make Christmas truly special for them, and their family. The campaign’s tagline, “Every tradition starts somewhere”, reflects Emporium’s commitment to embracing, inspiring and applauding diverse traditions […]
Reddit has announced updates to its new ads placement with Carousel Ads and Product Ads. These new units, placed in the heart of Reddit discussions, provide an even more dynamic and compelling way for advertisers to scale to relevant audiences, deliver deeper value to users, and drive stronger, full-funnel performance among the hundreds of thousands […]
Automotive Network Drive has announced its 2024 upfronts, its biggest in more than a decade, with a suite of more than 12 new products that underpin its vision to be the number one automotive network in Australia. Now in its 27th year and with a monthly audience of 2.45 million, Drive is leveraging its reputation […]