The second shortlist for the Next Director Award has been revealed, with a further seven new directors in contention to win the brand new short film award created by D&AD and YouTube.
Selected by an all-star panel of industry leaders including David Bruno, Dougal Wilson, Laura Gregory and Juliette Larthe, the following films comprise the second shortlist:
- A Graphic Novel, branded content directed by Blair Macdonald & Oliver Clark (Novemba) for Bacardi
- Alan Moore: His Heavy Heart, a documentary directed by Emile Rafael
- Andrew Belle: “Sister”, a music video directed by Will Morgan Holland
- Playstation: “Our Shoes”, a test commercial directed by Ciaran Foy
- Roy Kafri: “Mayokero”, a music video directed by Vania Heymann
- The Mountaineer, branded content directed by Clara Aranovich for C3 Energy
- VH1 Dating Naked: “Naked Dancing Stunt”, a commercial directed by Ellis Bahl
The Next Director Award is open exclusively to filmmakers with less than two years commercial experience. Shortlisted directors receive international exposure for their work and mentoring from a top production company, such as Partizan, RSA Films, Great Guns, Hungryman, Rattling Stick, Academy Films, Sonny, Jelly London and Lobo Sao Paulo. Each shortlisted director will also receive a production grant from MOFILM to work on a commissioned brief.
The full shortlist of films, including the 16 previously selected following the first round of judging, can be found here.
David Bruno, senior creative at Google Creative Labs commented, “It’s a pleasure to be part of this search to select the director of tomorrow. I’ve been overwhelmed by the standard of the work that I’ve seen and believe that these initiatives are essential, so that the true talent out there don’t remain undiscovered and find the opportunities that they deserve.”
Laura Gregory, D&AD Trustee, founder of Great Guns and jury foreman commented,“The second round of entries was a movement away from the ‘dark’ inaugural session earlier in the year. Perhaps it reflects the mood of the seasons. The charm of Mayokero made everyone smile for lost memories and the thoughtful observations made by Emile Rafael in his documentary ‘Alan Moore’ sat comfortably alongside any director with years more experience. Bacardi’s ‘A Graphic Novel’ was pure entertainment and got better with each viewing, one of the few that had us all chuckling. I can’t wait for the final round!
“So, Next Directors, choose your best piece of work and get it in front of us. This is the final call for work before we select the first D&AD Next Director in 2015.”
Following the reveal of the second shortlist, the third and final entry period for the 2015 Next Director Award is now open. Filmmakers are allowed to submit one entry per deadline. Films do not have to be commercially released and must be less than five minutes in length. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 4 February 2015.
Key dates for the Next Director Award
- 3rd entry deadline: 4 February
- 3rd shortlist announced: 20 April
- Winner announced at D&AD Professional Awards Ceremony: May 2015