When flying Air Koryo, make sure you don’t crumble up a newspaper bearing the image of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, take a photograph during your flight or eat the food.
The North Korean airline has been voted worst in the world by UK-based SkyTrax consultancy agency for the fourth year running. Air Koryo is the only carrier to have been awarded just one star in the rankings of more than 180 airlines.
The Skytrax World Airline awards focuses on service and in-flight experience, something which Air Koryo is lacking.
Some of the SkyTrax Reviews for Air Koryo:
- “Interesting airplane (TU204) and very likely the first and last time I fly a Russian built plane (not a lot operated where I spend most of my time). Flight to North-hard and bumpy landing.”
- “We had a reasonable amount of space and the staff were smartly dressed and friendly. The food was a burger with a mystery meat inside which was not very nice and I did not finish it.”
- “You’d be hard pressed to find a team less interested in not only the well being but the safety of the passengers.”
- “Interesting to say the least. Outbound was oldest plane I have ever seen in my life (Il-62) and literally falling apart at the seams. Propaganda handed out announcements regarding how this flight was made possible by the dear leader etc. “
- “I was fairly disappointed by the service however was amused when both pilots came around to say hello to the dignataries with me presumably leaving the aircraft on autopilot anyway! “
On the opposite side of the spectrum, Qantas was one of the top airlines during the Skytrax Awards. Qantas was also named the best airline in the Pacific region and won the award for best premium economy class airline catering. Virgin won the award for best staff in the Pacific.