Channel Nine felt the wrath of online-monarchists and eager spectators of Saturday’s Royal Wedding, having promised earlier the broadcast would be ad-free.
While Nine had openly said prior to the broadcast, hosted by Karl Stefanovic and Georgie Gardner, only the ceremony would be ad-free, confused viewers assumed the entire coverage would be free from advertising.
Speaking on the network’s broadcast, a spokesperson from Nine said, “We are pleased with the audience who tuned in to Nine News’ coverage of the Royal Wedding.
“Across all the TV networks the audience was significant and it once again highlights the unique power of television to bring major news events, such as this, into the living rooms of millions of Australians.”
However, frustrated viewers who had misunderstood the ad schedule took to Twitter and Facebook to share their anger over the barrage of ads, with many admitting they had been forced to change the channel because of them.
Viewers became disgruntled when the coverage kept cutting back to wedding attendees who had already had ample airtime.
— KevdZ (@KevdZ) May 19, 2018
@Channel9 uhhhh I thought the live broadcast of the Royal wedding was ad free ?
— Olivia Fedele (@kidraul27) May 19, 2018
— Trev (@brokenrecord000) May 19, 2018
too many ads in your coverage of this. It's killing me.
— Annette Magnifico (@oohkitty) May 19, 2018
— Mattie (@PrincessMattie1) May 19, 2018
A whopping 1.48 million tuned-in for Nine’s Royal Wedding coverage.