Guardian Australia has launched the Guardian Sustainable Business (GSB) Australia as part of the Guardian’s growing global expansion.
GSB is underpinned by an editorial advisory council comprised of Australia’s most respected sustainability experts.
The dedicated Australian section will be a core part of Guardian Australia. GSB Australia is designed to engage readers with in-depth analysis, thought-provoking commentary and cutting-edge interactive storytelling, providing a comprehensive look at how Australian companies are rising to meet today’s social and environmental sustainability challenges.
The editorial focus will be on social equality, smart cities and innovation in renewable energy.
National Australia Bank (NAB) will partner with Guardian Australia to launch the GSB Australia hub, sponsoring an independent content series on Social Equality within the hub and creating a bespoke partner zone called The Change Makers focusing on key individuals in Australia who are making a social impact in their communities.
Alexandra Spring will edit GSB Australia and will work closely with, Jennifer Kho, editor GSB US, and Laura Paddison, editor GSB UK.
“As international leaders gather in Paris for the United Nations Climate Change Conference, global businesses are increasingly being called upon to play their part in this modern-day humanitarian and environmental challenge,” Spring said.
“Under The Guardian’s respected open journalism ethos, GSB Australia will examine how Australian businesses seek to meet these social and environmental challenges and what that means for all Australians.”
As part of the launch, Spring has created an editorial advisory council of sustainability experts and thought leaders to contribute to the editorial agenda of GSB Australia. Council members include:
- Alicia Darvall, executive director, B Labs Australia
- Amanda McKenzie, CEO, Climate Council
- Amelia Telford, seed national director, Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- Andrew Petersen, CEO, Sustainable Business Australia
- Anna Rose, national manager, Earth Hour
- Blair Palese, CEO, 350.org
- Clover Moore, Lord Mayor, City of Sydney
- David Ritter, CEO, Greenpeace
- Dermot O’Gorman, CEO, WWF
- Professor John Thwaites, Monash Sustainability Institute &ClimateWorks Australia
- Jon Dee, founder and Managing Director, Do Something!
- Lisa Annese, CEO, Diversity Council Australia
- Michael Traill, chair, SVA Leadership Council, Social Ventures Australia
- Dr Stephen Bygrave, CEO Beyond Zero Emissions
- Professor Stuart White, director of the Institute for Sustainable Futures.
Speaking at the launch of GSB, co-founder and CEO of 350.org Australia Blair Palese said, “I am thrilled to be part of the new Guardian Sustainable Business project because for more than two years, Australia has lagged far behind in taking action due to a lack of leadership.
“The Guardian’s new forum will provide a platform for creative thinking and new voices that can help get us back in the game and take our rightful place as a global leader in finding environmental solutions to our biggest challenges, including climate change.”