The actor who plays the “Most interesting Man in the World” in arguably the most famous campaign on the planet, the Dos Equis beer ads, has pulled the pin on his role but not before starring in one final instalment that sees him rocket off on a mission to colonise Mars.
The role was played by 77-year-old British actor Jonathan Goldsmith who first started fronting the hilarious beer ads back in 2006. Dos Equis’ brewer, Heineken USA, has reported that it wants to give the brand a fresh spin and already an older female has been touted to replace Goldsmith.
Such has been the success of the “Most interesting Man in the World” ads, Dos Equis’s sales tripled in the first five years that the ads – equal part James Bond-cool and equal part utter piss taking – started appearing.
For his part, Goldsmith said he understood that the brand wanted to move in a different direction and, we’re certain, the $US10 million in royalties he was paid should soothe some of the pain. He even went out with one last fantastic quote: “That’s why they’re sending me to Mars. Somebody’s got to populate it.”
Sure, you can YouTube the classic “Most Interesting Man” in the world ads, but here’s a selection of his finest quotes:
1) He lives vicariously through himself.
2) He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels.
3) His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man’s entire body.
4) When it is raining, it is because he is thinking of something sad.
5) His shirts never wrinkle.
6) He is left-handed and right-handed.
7) If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.
8) The police often question him just because they find him interesting.
9) His blood smells like cologne.
10) On every continent in the world, there is a sandwich named after him. His hands feel like rich brown suede.
11) Cuba imports cigars from him. Mosquitos refuse to bite him purely out of respect. In museums, he is allowed to touch the art.
12) His business card simply says “I’ll call you.”
13) He has won the lifetime achievement award, twice.
14) If he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the urge to thank him.
15) He bowls overhand.
16) He is fluent in all languages, including three that he only speaks.
17) He tips an astonishing 100%.
18) Once while sailing around the world, he discovered a short cut.
19) Panhandlers give him money.
20) He divorced his wife because he caught her littering.
21) His passport requires no photograph.
22) When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value.