AdRoll, the performance advertising platform, published its 2015 ANZ State of the Industry Report, a survey of 265 ANZ marketers that reviews the marketer’s perspective on the changing dynamics of the advertising and marketing landscape.
The annual report is the most in-depth of its kind and gives unprecedented insight into how marketers see the future of digital advertising evolving. To conduct the survey, AdRoll partnered with third-party research company Qualtrics to help garner an unbiased view of how marketers are using retargeting, programmatic and performance marketing across their businesses.
The survey found that attribution is still a key concern of ANZ marketers with 41 per cent of marketers not sure how to effectively implement or analyse attribution tracking yet 92 per cent consider attribution to be important or critical to marketing success.
While programmatic is a fairly new practice in terms of years, the research indicates marketers have fully embraced the programmatic era! An incredible 92 per cent of marketers are planning for their programmatic budgets to increase or stay the same over 2016 and 55 per cent of marketers are seeing greater return through programmatic ads compared to traditional media buying.
Managing director, APAC AdRoll, Ben Sharp said: “Marketing is becoming more and more technology driven and marketers are being held to higher standards of measurement and accountability than ever before.
“The results from this survey make it clear that 2016 is staged to be a massive year for digital advertising and that marketers understand the importance of being able to accurately report on digital campaigns and want to learn how to do it better.”
The full report details how programmatic is impacting the advertising world well beyond its roots in display, by capturing conversions on mobile and social as well. In addition, marketers report that attribution is critical to their success, but that improvements are still needed. Key findings include:
The programmatic era:
- 92 per cent of marketers are planning for programmatic ad budgets to increase or stay the same in the coming year
- 55 per cent of marketers are seeing greater return through programmatic ads compared to traditional media buying.
- ANZ marketers purchase programmatic ads across a range of channels with the most popular being social media at 68 per cent
Media buys are matching modern, mobile media consumption
- 70 per cent of marketers purchase social media space programmatically
- 52 per cent of B2B marketers are currently retargeting on mobile, compared to only 41 per cent of B2C marketers
- Over 1/2 of marketers say social media is the hottest topic in retargeting, with email retargeting placing second
The attribution gap is on marketers’ minds
- 92 per cent consider attribution to be important or critical to success
- 49 per cent feel that the future of attribution is better multi-touch tracking
- 41 per cent aren’t sure how to effectively implement or analyse attribution tracking
Retargeting is still a top performing channel
- 38 per cent spend 10–25 per cent of their entire online ad budget on retargeting
- 31 per cent intend to increase their retargeting budgets over the next 12 months
- 62 per cent say the top objective for retargeting is brand awareness