American fast food chain Carl’s Jr, which opened its first store in Australia early this year to much fanfare, is getting demolished on social media over a TVC starring NFL running back Todd Gurley biting into a blatantly CGI burger.
The spot description is: “There’s no better way to welcome Running Back and Rookie of the Year Todd Gurley to his new home in Los Angeles, than with a real taste of California. Introducing the California Classic Double Cheeseburger with double meat, double cheese, grilled onions and thousand island. Only from Carl’s Jr.”
The TVC shows Gurley ‘biting’ into the burger, but it’s really obvious that Gurley is biting into nothing. See for yourself:
Online commentators are mocking the ad, including these YouTube comments:
- It seems that CGI guy will loose his job.
- Would’ve been better off not making a commercial at all.
- What team of dumbfuck copywriters thought this was a good idea?
- Did you guys have a hamburger wear a motion capture suit for that shot?
- It says a lot about your burgers when you’re using a CGI burger in replacement of your own, for your own ad. I conclude this a bad idea, and I believe you should remake this ad.
- Don’t worry about the burger we’ll just cover it in post
These Twitter comments:
You know your burgers are trash when they have to CGI one for Todd Gurley to actually ‘eat’ it. Ehhm @CarlsJr
— Mars Middleton (@MarsMiddle) June 8, 2016
Your ad burgers looking nothing like your actual burgers.
CGI burger in the Todd Gurley ad? Seriously?
That’s a new low.
— Cory (@WaitWhatLAKings) June 7, 2016
@CarlsJr should FIRE the ad agency who decided to use a CGI burger in their commercial. Jr. High kids could make a more realistic burger.
— Eugene Tamura (@etamura) June 10, 2016
In response to the teasing, Carl’s Jr tweeted this GIF of Gurley chomping down on a messier burger:
Hey, a lot of things in SoCal are enhanced but Todd really did eat A LOT of Cali Classics. Available at Carl’s Jr. ? pic.twitter.com/uWH2QfHtEi
— Carl’s Jr. (@CarlsJr) June 10, 2016