The first awards shortlists for the 2014 Cannes Lions are here and Australia has a solid presence including four listings in the coveted Creative Effectiveness Lions.
Australia and the UK have four finalists in the 12-strong Creative Effectiveness Lions each, more than any other country.
McCann Melbourne represents half of the Australia showing with two ads for two train clients, including Dumb Ways to Die which is one of the most awarded campaign in the history of Cannes.
Havas Worldwide Australia’s ‘Fair Go Bro’ work for Virgin Mobile and DDB Sydney’s ‘Australia Day’ for McDonald’s also feature. Creative Effectiveness Lions Shortlist:
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Guilt Trips, V/Link
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Dumb Ways to Die’, Metro Trains
- DDB Sydney/ OMD Sydney, ‘Australia Day’, McDonald’s Australia
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney / Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney / Revolver / Will O’Rourke Sydney / One Green Bean, ‘Fair Go Bro’, Virgin Mobile
There are 11 places reserved for Australian agencies in the Promo & Activation Lions, including two for Clemenger BBDO Melbourne’s ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’. Grey Melbourne also received two places in the finals for work it completed for ex-client, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) Promo & Activation Lions shortlist
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (promotional stunts and live advertising)
- Whybin/TBWA Sydney, ‘Repaired with Gold’, Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Boobs’, Pacific Brands
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Wipe off 5’, Transport Accident Commission (sponsorship or partnership campaigns)
- Clemenger BBDO Sydney, ‘Zombie Followers’, Foxtel
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (use of social audience in promotional campaign)
- George Patters Y&R Brisbane, ‘Mozzie Box’, SP Brewery
- Whybin\TBWA Sydney, ‘TAB –Back Gold in Brazil’, TABCORP
- Whybin\TBWA Melbourne, ANZ GayTMS, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, Transport Accident Commission (public health & safety & public awareness messages)
- Ogilvy Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
McCann’s ‘Phubbing’ campaign for Macquarie Dictionary and Leo Burnett’s ‘Safe Driving Program’ for Samsung have received three places in the Direct Lions shortlist each.
There are 10 Australian campaigns with nominations. Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney’s ‘Penny the Pirate’, Whybin\TBWA’s ‘ GayTMs’ (pictured), DDB Melbourne’s ‘Minute of Silence’ and Whybin\TBWA Sydney’s ‘Paddock of Pride’ all received two nominations each.
GPY&R Melbourne’s ‘Buildboard’ work for Defence Force Recruiting is also a finalists along with CHE Proximity Melbourne’s ‘Alert Shirt’ work for Foxtel and Ogilvy Melbourne’s ‘Dupe’ campaign for Yarra Valley Water.
For the full shortlist click here.
Whybin\TBWA Sydney is a lone agency holding the flag for Australia in the Innovation Lions. It has received a finalists place for its NRMA Crash Test Drive work.
Ten Aussie agencies have received a place in the finals for the PR Lions category with 12 nods in total for Down Under as potential gongs for Whybin\TBWA Melbourne’s ‘GayTMs’ work add up.
Whybin\TBWA Melbourne has received another three finalist places for its ‘GayTms’ push for ANZ. The campaign has made it through to finals in the PR Lions’ category’s retail and restaurants, corporate responsibility and sponsorship subcategories. The full list of local PR Lions finalists:
- WhybinTBWA, ‘GayTMs’, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne/ The Pound Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, The Transport Accident Commission
- Ogilvy Melbourne/ One20 Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
- Banjo Advertising Sydney/ Edelman Sydney/ Syndicate Films Melbourne, ‘The L&B Experiment’, Best & Less
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney/ Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney/ Red Agency Sydney/ Method Studios Sydney, ‘Buy the Sky’, Royal Flying Doctor Service
- GPY&R Sydney/ VML Sydney/ iKraal Cape Town, ‘It’s Feeding Time’, Cronulla Sharks
- JWT Sydney/ Hill & Knowlton Sydney/ Collider Sydney, ‘I Touch Myself’, Cancer Council NSW
- JWT Sydney/ Initiative Sydney/ Adhesive PR Sydney/ Finch Sydney, ‘Attention Powered Car’, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia
- McCann Melbourne/ Airbag Productions Melbourne, ‘Phubbing’, Macquarie Dictionary